Internet re-direct virus

Last Monday, I was infected with a virus. It started out as the virus that says that you have a certain number of viruses and you need to install an anti-virus program. I do not recall exactly what the message was but I think it was Internet Security 2010.

I updated and ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I found several viruses and succesfully removed them. I thought I was good. As I continued to do work on my computer, I would get Visual Studio's Just In Time debugger coming up with various errors. It seems I still have something running in the background. I have Symantec installed through work. At one point in time, it stopped the hacktool.rootkit virus. I tried Microsoft Security Essentials as well.

I am stuck in a cycle, all scans run without finding errors, I try to go back to using my computer and do internet searches. I get re-directed and typically the VS JIT debugger comes up, eventually Symantec or Security Essentials catches something. (I understand it is not good to have both) I run scans again and typically come up clean.

My diagnosis is that the internet search virus is causing my problems. At first it was just Google but now looks to be Bing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Hello G D J, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

First you must ensure that the infection has not altered your Internet settings - Please do these steps in Internet Explorer (even if IE is not your default browser ) - - (the infection may have entered some proxy settings)

- Try these steps first please -

Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other Internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to un-check it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

-THIS will show you the last steps -

If the above steps do not work, then follow the instructons below to have an expert take a look and help you make sure your computer is clean.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Please note that it may take 72 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 72 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)

Hi G D J -

We have discovered that if you follow These directions you should be able to remove I/S 2010 infection - Please read the directions carefully, and if you are happy, then follow them - If you do have problems then please follow the directions by Firefox above -

Thank You - :)

Thank you for your respsones. Previously, I was not able to run mbam.exe. I renamed and was able to run. I think I removed the XP Internet Security 2010 and Antivirus Vista 2010. Something else seems to be causing an issue. I will post my log following Firefox's directions tomorrow. Thanks again.