MBAM hangs within the first minute of scans

Hello. I've been using MBAM for about a year and lately the program almost always stalls within the first minute of a full or quick scan of my C: drive.

I usually get a number in brackets followed by the path to the file e.g.

[1440] C:\Windows\System32\WININI.DLL

The Time Elapsed stops updating and if I try to pause or abort the scan I get a message saying that the program has stopped responding.

I have right-clicked the C:drive in My Computer and scanned that way. That worked fine, but it always seems to get stuck when I start MBAM first and then start the scan from within the program.

I have a Dell C610 w/ XP Professional 1GB RAM and about 75GB free HD space. It always ran fine on this machine, and I've seen MBAM run on computers that are older than mine. This phenomenon is fairly recent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Greetings jonasgrumby and welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

I will be off the forum for a while, but fear not, I've not abandoned you. Typically I'm on very late at night/early morning my time (it's now 10:23AM and well past my bed time :P). I will return tonight and review your log and get back to you, hopefully with a resolution to the problem.

Uninstall Programs:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall the following if found:

• EPSON Printer Drivers

Uninstall all Epson software (don't worry, we'll reinstall it afterwards) and reboot your computer, then try scanning with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now scans properly.

Once that's complete delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

• Double click Autoruns.exe
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Unfortunately it didn't work this time. You can probably see in the autoruns file that even though I deleted the Epson stuff from Control Panel, there are still two entries in Autoruns. I saw where I could right-click those and delete them from within Autoruns but did not want to do that w/o asking. I have attached the new Autoruns file.

Thanks

AutoRuns.zip

Your instincts were correct, but I'm glad you were patient as it's always best to wait for instructions just in case. Autoruns is a very powerful tool :P.

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and right-click the following and select Delete:

• EPSON Stylus CX5400 (Copy 1) File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P28 "EPSON Stylus CX5400 (Copy 1)" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus CX5400"

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Then try another scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Please let me know if the scan now completes.

I did see some of the numbers in brackets again but the scan has not stalled after several minutes and I assume it will not. It had always been stalling within the first minute before. Can I re-install my printer or do I have to do something special about that? In the meantime I will let the scan keep running.

Thank you

Yes, once Malwarebytes' finishes scanning, reinstall your printer drivers from here (this is the latest driver for your printer for your current operating system direct from EPSON). Then reboot your computer and try scanning with Malwarebytes' again to see if it freezes or if it now functions, also print a document or test page with your printer to make sure the drivers are properly installed and functional.

Please let me know how it goes.

The MBAM scan is still running after more than a half hour, so that is looking very good.

I went to the Epson site and looked up the driver for my computer, and it said the latest version is 12957

Windows 7 32-bit Edition compatible, Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows XP, Windows 2000

epson12957.exe - 21MB - posted on 04/24/09

This self-extracting file contains everything you need to use your Epson Stylus CX7400 with Windows XP, 2000 and Vista 32-bit.

This version 1.0 combo package consists of the following items:

* Printer Driver v6.50

* Scanner Driver v3.20A

* Epson Status Monitor 3

* Epson EasyPrint v3.1

Should I use that? I do want to have the scanner driver & printer driver. I don't even know what the other two do.

Thanks

Yes, that will work. Strange, you found a much newer driver than I did. The only ones I could locate were on this page. The one you found says it's for the CX7400, but the driver we removed via Autoruns said CX5400, that's why I linked to that one but if the 7400 is the printer you own, then by all means please install that much newer (and much more appropriate to your model printer :P) driver.

Excellent, that's great news and you're very welcome :)

Generally with this particular issue, if the scan does not freeze during the beginning, either in the registry or memory parts of the scan, then it should be able to run to completion.

Should you require any further assistance with this or any other issues please post or feel free to contact support@malwarebytes.org and we'll do our best to help you out.

Thank you for your patience in resolving this matter :)