Jump to content

Antivirus xp 2010 hit me, now my wifi is 50% slower

Recommended Posts

I'll try to make this as easy as I can. I am running XP Home on a Gateway portable, the portable has a Intel Pro wireless card inside ... a few days ago I got hit with a trojan XP Antivirus 2010 or something close to that. I have used malwarebytes, Avast, Symantic antivirus corporate and Spysweeper and it looks like I"ve got rid of the trojan as far as I can see....

I've read here on the forums and taken all the tips I can to clean up the pc but I'm having one issue allso.

In using my internal wifi card my performance is half of what it use to be, we have a 10mb line but it actually gets me any ware from 12mb to 15 mb depending on the time of day (charter cable) since I got hit with this trojan on the internal card I am cut down to 5.8mb max no matter what speedtest use. My up speed is fine and is 2 MB.

Now in my house I have 2 routers (always have I guess it is a router and AP) and both have worked fine and given me my full speed. all the other computers including my wife's portable with Wifi is all working fine.

Now not to confuse the issue, but if I put in my external Dlink card I am getting full speed when I go to the AP (ATT 108mb) but when i go to my main router Motorola router that is tied directly to my modem I get the same speed reduction to 5.8mb. So, It seems like my home set up is good, working with all the other PC's it is my notebook that is affected ... I also find that I keep loosing connection to the AP way to much... it drops and then picks up again.

So, I am wondering if anyone here can help me try to figure this out, it's got me stumped for sure.



I ran HJt quick scan and here is the log (as requested)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3830

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

3/6/2010 07:14:43 PM

mbam-log-2010-03-06 (19-14-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 133355

Time elapsed: 35 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

As you can see it came up clean, I then ran a full scan, same, no problems found. as instructed I did the DDS fogger and the text files are attached. The GMER root kit just kept running and I had to shut down but in the 2 hours it was running it found no problem..

So although this is not showing up as an infection it definitely has screwed with my Wifi.



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.