MBAM Scan disinfection crippling computer

Hi fatdcuk,

Well, I downloaded the dds.scr utility and ran it and no report has yet popped up. It's been running for half an hour so far and should have produced after three minutes or so, according to the information that appeared briefly at the start. Perhaps I need to disable those script blockers.

I await further instructions. I will leave DDR running in the meantime. :D

Hi storks,

Any progress on running DDS or is it still stuck?

If it is stuck could you please do the following:

Firstly terminate the DDS window if it is still running.

Download AVZ and save it to your desktop from

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 launch avz.exe by right clicking the file and selecting
Run as Administrator
, otherwise right click it and select
Open

Note: You may get an alert from your antivirus software warning you of a suspicious driver installation, please allow it as this is needed to allow the avz utility to work.

You should now see the main window of the AVZ utility.

Please navigate to
File->Custom Scripts
. Copy the script below by using the keyboard shortcut
CTRL+C
or the corresponding option via right click.

begin

ExecuteStdScr(3);

end.

Paste the script into the AVZ window by using
CTRL+V
keyboard shortcut, or the "paste" option via the right click menu. Click on
Run
to run the script this will cause AVZ to start a scan. After the scan has finished, a folder called
LOG
is created on your desktop, with a file called
virusinfo_syscure.zip
inside. Please attach that file to your next post.

Hi Baz,

Apologies for addressing you by the wrong name in my last post, I just read the message without reading who actually posted it. I hope you are not too offended, there was none intended. In fact, it,s nice to know someone else is taking an interest in my problems. :)

Please excuse my wittering, I now realise that the reason another expert is helping me is that this topic has been moved to a different forum.

Anyhow, looking forward to your reply. Cheers. :)

Hi Baz,

Apologies for addressing you by the wrong name in my last post, I just read the message without reading who actually posted it. I hope you are not too offended, there was none intended. In fact, it,s nice to know someone else is taking an interest in my problems. :)

Hi again storks,

Absolutely no offence taken. I've had a look at your logfile and want to do some quick checks on two files which seem suspect, and fix your hosts file as it contains some bad entries.

Please go ahead and follow the instructions below.

Please launch avz.exe again- If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 right click the file avz.exe and select
Run as Administrator
, otherwise right click it and select
Open

Note: You may get an alert from your antivirus software warning you of a suspicious driver installation, please allow it as this is needed to allow the avz utility to work.

You should now see the main window of the AVZ utility.

Please navigate to
File->Custom Scripts
. Copy the script below by using the keyboard shortcut
CTRL+C
or the corresponding option via right click.

begin

QuarantineFile('C:\Office.exe','');

QuarantineFile('C:\Program Files\Tiscali\Dialler.exe','');

ClearHostsFile;

end.

Paste the script into the AVZ window by using
CTRL+V
keyboard shortcut, or the "paste" option via the right click menu. Click on
Run
to run the script.

After the script has completed running, please go ahead and perform the same procedure as above to execute the following script:

begin

CreateQurantineArchive('c:\quarantine.zip');

end.

You should now find a file called
quarantine.zip
located in the location
C:\
Please attach that file to your next post.

Hi Baz,

Thanks for getting back. I have run the 2 scripts you posted and the resulting .zip file is attached.

Incidentally, the "Connessione Predefinita" icon that was sitting in "My Computer" has changed from being a named icon to being an unamed generic file symbol which, when right clicked on, opens a small window with the options to cut, create a shortcut or delete. I haven't yet done so but my inclination is to try deleting it. I am interested to know how this change has happened.

All the best.

quarantine.zip

Hi Baz,

Since making the AVZ quarantine file, I think, my bluetooth program seems to have crashed. I have it in order to be able to use a wireless headset with VOIP applications. It uses a USB dongle to broadcast the signal which is no longer recognised by windows when plugged in. When the program is installed, a shortcut to "My Bluetooth Places", from where the settings etc can be configured, is placed on the desktop. This shortcut no longer works and right. I have tried un/reinstalling the program with no effect. It is currently uninstalled.

I am also having problems with my computer randomly disconnecting from the router, although this a longstanding problem and I wonder if there is anything that can be done to stop this.

All the best.

Hi storks,

Sorry for the long delay, I have been away from home. We haven't done any changes to your computer that would cause the bluetooth dongle to stop working. And according to the logs and the files I have checked you only had trace infection items left over. Are you still experiencing any odd behaviour apart from the bluetooth dongle?

Hi Baz,

Good to hear from you again, I thought you had vanished into the ether. No strange behaviour apart from the random disconnection from the router. If this means that my computer has been disinfected, thanks very much and I hope your help will not be required anytime soon.

All the best.