which av combo?

tetley74

HI new to this forum so hope ive got this in the right place. currently im running microsoft security essentials, threatfire, along with superantispyware free and of course malwarebytes free. My ques,, is this a good combo of protection or is avast5.0 free anybetter than mse, is threatfire good or would the malwarebytes pro with mse or avast be better and are there any known conflicts between these programs. The reason i ask is well its microsoft but having said that it seems to be working ok so far hope this hasnt revied a boring old thread many thanks.

Welcome tetley74

I use avast! V5 on my systems but I do not run Microsoft Security Essentials but it is OK as a free anti virus application but can not be run with its resident protection active together with avast!.

I do not use Threatfire but I do use Malwarebytes Pro on both systems.

Hi tetley 74 -

The biggest question ever asked is the one you have just opened - ME personally - Malwarebytes / SuperantiSpyware / MSE / -

You find what suits YOU and stay with that - Avast and Avira are also very good free versions -

Thanks for asking - B)

EDIT - Read this --> http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...;p=195020lasted quite a while and was almost the exact same question -

Hi tetley74 and welcome to malwarebytes'!

I would go with noknojon on MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials is very good on resources(memory, disk and cpu usage) as well as good detection and low false positives. My protection is very similar as you can see in my signature. MSE has proved it's self for me on a few occasions. I personally wouldn't change anything as it seems to be a very good combo.

Hi tetley74 and welcome to malwarebytes'!

I would go with noknojon on MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials is very good on resources(memory, disk and cpu usage) as well as good detection and low false positives. My protection is very similar as you can see in my signature. MSE has proved it's self for me on a few occasions. I personally wouldn't change anything as it seems to be a very good combo.

My experience with MSSE has been very positive. Today I installed it for a customer on a machine that was an AMD 1.4ghz with 384mb of ram. After a full tune-up, and with MSSE added (he had no antivirus before) the computer was still faster than it was before. In fact, it ran surprisingly quick for what it was. The memory footprint is small.

I think of it this way: AVG, Avast, and others are very large downloads (don't ask me for sizes, I don't know) and MSSE for XP is only 11mb and installs in just a couple of minutes or less.

I think of it this way: AVG, Avast, and others are very large downloads (don't ask me for sizes, I don't know) and MSSE for XP is only 11mb and installs in just a couple of minutes or less.

Same here. The last time I used avast it was around 100mb. In my opinion all you need is a real-time scanner and a file monitor shield. All that extra is unnecessary.

thanks for the replies after looking at several forums it looks like mse is getting some good reviews, alot of people say its up there with avast. Ive found it simple to use and understand install it and basicly forget it ive looked at avast on another system but seems a tad over complicated with all those varying levels of cover within those modules, the only complaint ive got about threatfire is if you set the sensitivity to level 5 its blocks almost every action it stop sas and mse from updatng yesterday but at level 4 its ok.Not used mbam pro yet but would like some feedback from users and again many thanks to those who have replied.

No problem. Mbam pro does a great job in detection. If I'm correct mbam doesn't monitor file downloads/activity, but memory access after your anti-virus should have caught it. Also I've never got an actual infection since using it. I only know what I've read. However it does pass all the spycar/eicar test files.

@ buttons

avast! is not 100MB download but a little over 40MB.

avast! is more than a file monitor shield and real-time scanner!

There are Behavior, IM, Network and Mail shields as well in the Free version.

MSE is a basic anti virus application meant for users that do not have any anti virus application and want basic AV protection.

I have never needed Threatfire with avast! and MBAM.

@ buttons

avast! is not 100MB download but a little over 40MB.

avast! is more than a file monitor shield and real-time scanner!

There are Behavior, IM, Network and Mail shields as well in the Free version.

MSE is a basic anti virus application meant for users that do not have any anti virus application and want basic AV protection.

I have never needed Threatfire with avast! and MBAM.

Should have been more clear on that. I was actually referring to the total size. Yes the download size is around 40mb. Like I said before I just like a basic anti-virus and don't really care for the email scanner, web shield and all that other stuff. I just like the basics all that extra is rather unnecessary. That's just my opinion meant no harm. Also I never never really cared for threatfire. Seems to heavy on resources. The last time I used it I noticed a reasonable amount of performance loss. WinPatrol now is lighter with no noticeable impact on the system whatsoever.

HI again and thanks for the input just a quick update been using threatfire for about a week and it constantly tells me that there is a threat whenever i open sas or update it and whenever mse updates keeps telling me these are infected but nothing shows up on mbam scan think its time to ditch it and upgrade mbam....ps would full version of sas conflict with anything and would i need it with mbam pro.

Thanks ibrad have done that but as yet had no reply here's what threatfire says, c;\program files\SUPERantispyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE is trying to down load device driver on to system.,,,,,c:\program files\microsoft security essentials\MPCMDRUN.EXE trying to connect in abnormal way. any ideas.

HI thnaks exile360 so its safe to run mbam @ sas pro versions at same time with microsoft security essentials, still not to sure about threatfire will give it some more time though. Also am thinking of returning to avast5.0 free would that be a wise move at a later date as they still seem to be having problems with this security 2010 and its varients.

Just adding my thoughts on Mbam Pro - I love it, it plays nicely with my other security software, and it hardly notice it running. All I need to see is the red & white M in my task tray and I'm good :P It is more than worth the $24.95 lifetime license :) I will never go without it again!

If you have any specific questions about it, be sure to let us know :)

Hello again :P

You're very welcome.

Yes, version 5.0 of Avast! still seems to be a work in progress from what I've heard from some of our users here. As for Microsoft Security Essentials, it seems to be pretty good, especially for a free AV and is very simple to use. Please also refer to this guide to exclude MBAM's files from MSE so that you do not have any conflicts or issues, as some have been reported on some versions of Windows, but excluding the files according to that guide corrected them.

If you require anything further please post.

@ exile360

Any decent anti virus is a "work in progress" as the malware creators are so prolific on today's Internet that if the anti virus developers were not "In Progress" of improving their application they would become useless.

avast! has released an update to V5.0.454

What's new

Most notable improvements include:

- important fixes related to the installation of the firewall under 64-bit Windows

- fixed a potential memory leak in the firewall

- fixed multiple issues in the sandbox (plus a few performance improvements)

- this new version is now able to communicate with avast! WHS Edition

- fixed a bug related to the inserting of license files into the program

- fixed a problem in the Outlook plugin related to inserting of notes into HTML emails

- improvements in the submission system

- improvements in the Free AV registration system

- new language packs: Greek, Slovak and Ukrainian. This makes the current number of supported languages 19

And new in v5.0.454

- added access keys

My apologies YoKenny1, I was not trying to say that they should stand still with regards to development or that any other decent security company did. I was actually trying to be polite and not indicate directly the bugs that I've seen reported by yourself and others recently around here with regards to Avast! version 5 :).

@ exile360

With the help of this forum and the capable people over at avast! forum I have reported problems between MBAM and avast! V5 and they have been able to reproduce the problem and fix it rapidly resulting in in program updates.

New build of avast (5.0.462) now officially released

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56770.0