Jump to content

number of problems after fakealert-ma.gen attack

Recommended Posts


my laptop was recently infected by fakealert-ma.gen. alongwith that i also got infected by drguard. the mcafee i had was not able to remove the infection. i went to different forums and tried everything starting from spywaredoctor, spybot, etc., but was not able to remove the infection since non of them was running on my laptop. i was not able to log on to malwarebytes.org from my laptop and hence could not download malwarebytes. atleast i did the system restore to an earlier date that helped me to get rid of drguard but got stuck with fakealert-ma.gen. i used another computer to download malwarebytes and installed on my comp. though it started the installation, i got an error code of 732(12007,0)..... i assume that is related to update. i ran the full scan and removed whatever came up during scan. now i am no more having the fake pop ups ... thanks to malwarebytes.

my problem now is are -

- MBAM does not update (even manual)- error code 732(12007,0)

- cannot log on to malwarebytes.org- shows error server not found

- not able to install windows updates - shows error connection timed out

my internet connection is working properly and i am able to open most of the sites without any problem.

i checked the host file and did not find any additional entries blocking these sites.

i went through the various topics pinned to this forum (should have done it earlier, nevertheless) did download and run the Process Explorer but could not figure out which one i need to kill, if at all i have to. i am attaching the screen shot of process explorer.

can someone plssssssss help me out. i am not even sure whether my laptop is cured B) . I do not know much about computers and i am very scared to try anything else out B) .

thanks in advance



Link to post
Share on other sites


my problem is solved. just added the ip address of the malwarebytes to the host file and the update started and i did the full scan which removed all the infections. now i can open malwarebytes' website and all othe security websites as well as windows update biggrin.gif i believe the trojen was interefering with the DNS and redirecting. i found the following registry data entries in the log file.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data:, -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{bc0da059-edf8-4042-8fd6-d10e2073854b}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data:, -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.