error code 732

Hello JamiePerry and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

For a 732 Error.... (Note that most folks get it to work by just following step 3 below)

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity of Internet Explorer:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've done your backup, please do the following:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box copy and paste the text in the following code box exactly as written and press Enter or click on OK:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Try updating again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 2

Step 2: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to uncheck it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

This Link shows how to do the last steps -

Hi firefox,

i am getting the error code 732 (12007,0). not able to update. i went through the instructions you had given. step 1 completed, step 2 i am not able to find the following files/folders to exclude-

# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll

# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

# C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

# C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

# C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

i have windows vista and could not find the above for my windows firewall as well a mcafee firewall. it also shows .exe files. how do i find the above files?

i have also completed the step 3. i still get the above error. attached is the screenshot.

could you pls help me out?

fyi.... my laptop was recently infected by fakealert-ma.gen and got it removed by suing malewarebytes (though without updating since i got the error message every time i tried). i cannot open the malewarebytes website as well so i am using another comp to get into this forum

thanks

kaps 2003

post-34557-1267663927_thumb.jpg

Hi there, i too am having this issue but have come with more information.

first, i do know how cliche it sounds to say "i did all that above and it still doesnt work"... but, i DID and i know why it doesnt work yet, and have a simple question looking for an easy answer.

second, i run a helpdesk for a mere 250 users, and i'm MCSE+I so please feel free to get technical with me.

the fix for me, i'm certain will fix everyone else with the 732 error.

-----------

the specific machine i'm working on, has the following symptoms:

cannot ping, resolve, or browse to any security-related sites. includes malwarebytes.org, *.microsoft.com, etc.

however, when i edit the local hosts file, it works. here's what i've done for all the microsoft stuff so i can get updates:

1. ping www.microsoft.com (from an unrelated computer), get the ip address

2. add it's ip address and hostname to the hosts file on the affected computer, now i can browse, yay.

3. add all the rest, update.microsoft.com, download.microsoft.com, etc etc etc

4. same with all the various trendmicro.com hosts needed

the problem i'm having is, i cannot update malwarebytes. this is complicated by the fact that i CANT TELL what host it's trying to update from, so i CANT add it to my local hosts file. i can see it trying to contact a seemingly random content delivery network - but i need the HOSTNAME it looks for, so i can add that ip address to my hosts file and get it updated.

the best i could do so far was download the mbam-rules.exe (after adding www.malwarebytes.org to the hosts file), but it's from a few days/weeks ago.

i'm hoping the latest version of malwarebytes will find this bug which is interjecting itself before my DNS lookups (but after my netbios/hosts-file lookups).

i see nothing odd with hijackthis and LSPFIX (i've done this type of stuff on over 150 computers). obviously it's a rootkit, but to make matters the worst, it's a server 2003 domain controller belonging to a client i just inherited. i'm leery to run combofix or other automated fixers on it because it's a server, i'd rather just do it by hand.

WHAT HOST NAMES DOES MALWAREBYTES LOOK FOR WHEN UPDATING - thanks

Byron,

Use

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If you wish guided help with running some report tools & a second opinion

print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

Please post there Gmer.txt log & the DDS logs there.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

P.S. I would add: Do not keep the update.microsoft.com as a permanent entry in your Hosts

MS update servers have dynamic IPs

also btw, HJT is insufficient as a single tool. You have to run multiple analysis tools.

@Kaps2003

Have you verified that the modem is truly connecting to the internet?

If you need guided help on removing the malware infection:

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

Then post a NEW topic here.

Please post there Gmer.txt log & the DDS logs.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Don't post your logs here.

Byron,

Use

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If you wish guided help with running some report tools & a second opinion

print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

Please post there Gmer.txt log & the DDS logs there.

P.S. I would add: Do not keep the update.microsoft.com as a permanent entry in your Hosts

MS update servers have dynamic IPs

also btw, HJT is insufficient as a single tool. You have to run multiple analysis tools.

thanks for that. from the affected server, pinging that hostname is unknown host (LOL).

i see that resolves to 208.111.168.7

adding this to my hosts file:

208.111.168.7 mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.com

and now i can update PERFECTLY, no more 732 error. good fight rootkit.

i realize microsoft's hosts, and trend micro for that matter, do change from time to time... i'm doing the best i can in the limited time i have with this server, every few weeks :0

thanks for that. from the affected server, pinging that hostname is unknown host (LOL).

i see that resolves to 208.111.168.7

adding this to my hosts file:

208.111.168.7 mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.com

and now i can update PERFECTLY, no more 732 error. good fight rootkit.

i realize microsoft's hosts, and trend micro for that matter, do change from time to time... i'm doing the best i can in the limited time i have with this server, every few weeks :0

sorry, i meant to say i added all these to my hosts file:

208.111.168.7 mwbyte.vo.llnwd.net

208.111.168.7 cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net

208.111.168.7 mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

i got the other two from the mbam-traceroute log in another topic. although, i think just adding the bottom one would have worked - i doubt any rootkit blocks mwbyte or llnw or llnwd... but a lot of them block the keywords like malwarebytes

@byron44035

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

there is no modem involved... but it is a windows server 2003 machine, running a dhcp server, dns server (with forward lookup zones) and has a rootkit. all of the workstations who are dhcp clients of this server also cannot update windows, any security product, or malwarebytes - because this server is their only dns server, and this server can't resolve those sites.

i got mbam updated by hard coding the ip-to-hostname in the hosts file, hopefully mbam finds my rootkit or i'm going to be burning hours on this one B)

Byron,

a) I intended the modem question to the other member, not you. {I've since corrected -edited- that }

B) Please only use the ADDReply button at bottom when starting replies.

c) We cannot diagnose your server issues any deeper here. I offer my help if you wish, if only you'd open a thread in the Malware Removal sub-forum

d) yes, it usually takes a good bit of time to root out a rootkit

You'd do faster by taking it offline, if possible, then wipe clean and re-image from backup.

• Root Admin
second, i run a helpdesk for a mere 250 users, and i'm MCSE+I so please feel free to get technical with me.

Well speaking of Technical - You should be contacting my team directly for support if you're a business user. Use of the product on any business comptuer in not authorized without Corporate Licensing. The free and paid consumer versions are only for use on personal non business systems.

Please send me a Private Message with your order number and full contact information and I'll get in touch with you so that you can directly contact my team for support in the future.

Thank you.

Well speaking of Technical - You should be contacting my team directly for support if you're a business user. Use of the product on any business comptuer in not authorized without Corporate Licensing. The free and paid consumer versions are only for use on personal non business systems.

Please send me a Private Message with your order number and full contact information and I'll get in touch with you so that you can directly contact my team for support in the future.

Thank you.

hi there, thanks for the note

does the licensing/agreement follow the person at the keyboard, or the owner of the machine(s)? i was only stating my level of experience in what you quoted there, not to state i was using it -at the helpdesk-. i provide support for a lot of end users / home users while off duty... people who can't afford $90/hour, i'm happy to help them for a lot less, just to help.

i've pushed a lot of people to buy malwarebytes so it can provide the realtime protection, some buy it and some choose to run it manually, but my priority is the health of the machine so i can only do what i can.

am i not allowed to install it on home users computers because i am a corporate kind of person? or am i not allowed to ask for support because of that? if i buy a license, does it follow ME where i use it, or does it follow the machine it is installed/attached to?

anyway, this particular client i've just inherited as stated, and mbam was already installed so i figured i'd run it. update was broken, googled the error, not a lot of results, so i figured i'd head here - maybe this would be a cool place to hang out too.

maybe i was wrong

i'll head back over to experts-exchange, thanks for your time.

go ahead and whack my account

• Root Admin

If you use the program as you've explained then it would be a Technicians License that you would need and it is you that the program is licensed for which also provides direct email support instead of having to wait on the forum. If on the other hand these are permanent clients that pay you a monthly fee to maintain then they would be considered Corporate systems.

The Technicians License is a yearly fee that allows you to use the program in your business to help you scan and clean systems and at this time there is no limit on the amount of systems you use it on, as long as they're not part of a Company or set of clients that retain your services for a monthly or yearly fee.

You can contact Corporate Sales from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/corporate.php

Under additional details let them know you're interested in obtaining a Technician's License

Thank and take care.

@Kaps2003

Hi,

thanks my problem is solved. just added the ip address of the malwarebytes to the host file and the update started and i did the full scan which removed all the infections. now i can open malwarebytes' website and all othe security websites as well as windows update B) i believe the trojen was interefering with the DNS and redirecting. i found the following registry data entries in the log file.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 93.188.163.100,93.188.166.47 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{bc0da059-edf8-4042-8fd6-d10e2073854b}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 93.188.163.100,93.188.166.47 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

thanks for all your help.

br

kaps

• Root Admin

I would not recommend using the IP in a hosts file long term. If or when that server goes down or is changed out then once again your updates will quit working. Using DNS resolution via the Content Delivery Network allows it to seek out other Servers when needed.

You should only use such a method as a temporary workaround.