-Panda USB Vaccine and PC Pitstop Optimize.

Greetings!

Well, I don't know where to post my question , which is related to security of flashdrive (USB Drive) and PC Pitstop Optimize.

Now, I don't know if heard about Kim Komando radio show? Its all about latest gadgets and electronics. She recommends to install this program , so it disables autoran, pereventing flashdrive, CD D drive from malwares-Panda USB Vaccine http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-us...utorun-vaccine/

and another one is PC Pitstop Optimize, http://pcpitstop.com/store/optimize3_kimwhy.asp?which supposed to get rid off unnecessary files, registries, and clean up mess from Microsoft latest updates installation. Would you recommend to install these two programs? I have Windows 7. 64x PC. I Have NORTON 360 Installed on my PC. Will this Panda additional antivirus interfere with Norton?

Thanking you in advance!

Panda's USB Vaccine is not an antivirus, it's a program used to write protect your USB Flash drives to attempt to prevent malware from infecting them. It can be used alongside Norton360. As for PC Pitstop Optimize, it's completely up to you but as a general rule I strongly advise against the use of any regisry cleaning features in any of these tune-up type tools as they can often do more harm than good. If you really want to optimize your registry performance you can use this instead:

Use NTREGOPT to Optimize your Registry:

• Please download NTREGOPT from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on ntregopt-setup.exe to begin installation and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
  • Once it is installed UNCHECK the box next to Show documentation but leave the Launch NTREGOPT box checked and click Finish.
  • Once the Welcome! box appears click OK. You will now see it starting to optimize your registry. Please be patient as it can take a while.
  • Once it completes you will be prompted to restart your computer. Save anything you were working on and click Yes.

The tool is free and it won't damage your registry or delete any keys. If you do decide to use any type of registry cleaners such as that contained in PC Pitstop Optimize, I'd highly recommend you create a complete backup of the registry first in case something goes wrong:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

If you need anything else please post.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Since my PC is a new one, Bought it this january 2010, I will hold to your instructions for now. Will definitely apply the softwares you mentioned when I see that my PC goes a little kuku.:-)

Since, I heard about these programs on a radio show, I wanted to ask experts, such as you, whether you have used such programs (e.g reliability and validity)!

Panda's USB Vaccine is not an antivirus, it's a program used to write protect your USB Flash drives to attempt to prevent malware from infecting them. It can be used alongside Norton360. As for PC Pitstop Optimize, it's completely up to you but as a general rule I strongly advise against the use of any regisry cleaning features in any of these tune-up type tools as they can often do more harm than good. If you really want to optimize your registry performance you can use this instead:

Use NTREGOPT to Optimize your Registry:

• Please download NTREGOPT from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on ntregopt-setup.exe to begin installation and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
  • Once it is installed UNCHECK the box next to Show documentation but leave the Launch NTREGOPT box checked and click Finish.
  • Once the Welcome! box appears click OK. You will now see it starting to optimize your registry. Please be patient as it can take a while.
  • Once it completes you will be prompted to restart your computer. Save anything you were working on and click Yes.

The tool is free and it won't damage your registry or delete any keys. If you do decide to use any type of registry cleaners such as that contained in PC Pitstop Optimize, I'd highly recommend you create a complete backup of the registry first in case something goes wrong:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

You're very welcome :D

I believe PC Pitstop's software does more than just clean the registry, some of which can be quite useful, as long as you disable the registry cleaning component then you should be fine. If you do ever suffer from performance issues that are unrelated to an infection then please feel free to create a new topic here describing the issues you're having and you'll receive excellent guidance from myself or others that can help you to get your system running as fast as new again :).

Just a quick question, I think when I DL'd ERUNT (from the last time Exile was helping me) the program NTREGOPT came with it, sort of bundled in as I noticed it appeared when I installed ERUNT, I did not know what it did so I have just left it on my Desktop. Is this a prog from ERUNT makers as it is located in C:\programfiles\ERUNT ?

• Root Admin

The Windows defrag does not defrag the Registry. It only defrags the files themselves. However the registry does not get fragmented nearly as much or as quickly as a typical hard drive does so once you've run the registry optimizer once you probably don't need to run it again for quite a long time.