JavaRa Beta Testers Wanted

fredvries

Recently we published our new little program called JavaRa. It simply checks if the version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your computer is the latest one and, if not, downloads the most recent version. It also cleans some files (log files and temp files) that JRE leaves behind.

We invite you to test the program and we would welcome to hear about the problems you might or might not encounter.

Also, we would like to hear about any suggestions about the program you can have. Which features would you like to be incorporated?

ps: Ra is, of course, the ancient Egyptian Sun god.

JavaRa is downloadable here.

[14apr08] JavaRa updated to version 1.04. See Changelog here.

Hello Fred

Just took JavaRa for a test run and had no problems with it. The updater works great, removing older version from the program files works and the temp files proceeded just right.

I had to remove manually previous older versions from Add/Remove via Control panel, I would like to see a Auto previous older version removal from Add/Remove added when clicking removing all older version button with a Restart the computer included.

This is one sweet program, I like it. ;) Also it would benifit the helper to incorperate this program in their CS once it hits the shelves/out of beta and less confusing for the user in their Java updates. :P

Cheers

• Root Admin

Observations.

1. Button for "Search for updates" doesn't seem to do anything and it doesn't say WHAT updates it's looking for. Program or Java?

2. Clicking Search for updates while disconnected from the Web did not seem to do anything, no message box, no error, no indication of it doing anything.

Out of time for today but will try to pick back up on testing on Monday.

Observations.

1. Button for "Search for updates" doesn't seem to do anything and it doesn't say WHAT updates it's looking for. Program or Java?

2. Clicking Search for updates while disconnected from the Web did not seem to do anything, no message box, no error, no indication of it doing anything.

Out of time for today but will try to pick back up on testing on Monday.

Just stating that mine does work and does alert on both counts.. I attached images.. this should help narrow down the fact that it does work on some systems. I run XPpro , all updated, etc...

Cheers,

Paul

post-1108-1207386388_thumb.png

post-1108-1207386393_thumb.png

post-1108-1207386388_thumb.png

post-1108-1207386393_thumb.png

• Root Admin

The system I ran it from had a Vundo infection as well as other items. Not yet sure if it's 100% clean as I ran out of time Friday night.

Hope to be able to look at the system more tomorrow.

As for the button confusion I'm just saying it would be nice to know WHAT type of update it's going to look for. Maybe a small .text label under the buttons

• Root Admin

I think the reason the button for "Search for updates" did not do anything as there was not any version of Java installed on the system.

If that is the case then maybe still provide some type of feedback like Java not found on the system or similar.

Will try to test on other system to make sure if that was the reason or not.

Hello

I think the reason the button for "Search for updates" did not do anything as there was not any version of Java installed on the system.

If that is the case then maybe still provide some type of feedback like Java not found on the system or similar.

Your thoughts are correct... ;) No Java on this system, good suggestion for Java not found info. :P

Thanks for pointing this out. Already fixed in 1.04. :P

JavaRa 1.04 is almost here, but I need beta testers for the new definitions.

Change log:

[14apr08] JavaRa 1.04

- [Added] Options window

- [Added] Donate button

- [Added] Option to remove jusched.exe startup entry

- [Added] Removal of JRE files in the Temp folder

- [Added] Removal of JRE versions older than 1.6.0

- [Added] Alternate way to update the Java JRE

- [Added] New Update JRE Dialog

- [Added] Option to update JavaRa

- [Added] Command line switch: -runsilent

- [Fixed] Problems with removing certain JRE folders

- [Added] Removal of JRE registry values and keys

The new binary is attached.

Tooltips will come in version 1.05.

JavaRa.zip

JavaRa.zip

1. Need to stop forgetting to incorporate manifest file :P.

2. The Additional Tasks menu needs some work.

1. Dev-C++ is acting up - again. Otherwise it would be Vista compatible.

2. Cry me a riv.. oh wait. What needs to be done? I wanted it to be as simple as possible.

• Root Admin
  1. Still no informative lables
  2. Always says: "Finished searching for and removing JRE startup entries." or "Finished searching for all old versions of the JRE that were found on this system." even if there was no entry
  3. There is no code to prevent the program from running multiple times.

Basically in my opinion the programs need to be more informative as to what it will do, and what it finds or what it does not find.

If you tell it to remove old versions and it does not find any then I think it should say that Java was not found.

To me there just is not adequate proper information being returned so that I know for certain what it did.

I assume this tool is mainly for home users, that's why I think there needs to be much more feedback.

1. Still no informative lables

2. Always says: "Finished searching for and removing JRE startup entries." or "Finished searching for all old versions of the JRE that were found on this system." even if there was no entry

3. There is no code to prevent the program from running multiple times.

Basically in my opinion the programs need to be more informative as to what it will do, and what it finds or what it does not find.

If you tell it to remove old versions and it does not find any then I think it should say that Java was not found.

To me there just is not adequate proper information being returned so that I know for certain what it did.

I assume this tool is mainly for home users, that's why I think there needs to be much more feedback.

1. Coming in 1.05.

2. It's just a default message box that I wanted to inform the user that something did happen. I can fix this with a couple of if statements.

3. Can be fixed with a simple function. Thought about it but didn't know if it was necessary.

Thank you for your thoughts. If you haven't noticed already, your username has been credited in the About box. :P

Thank you for your thoughts. If you haven't noticed already, your username has been credited in the About box.
I see I'm there as well :P

I see I'm there as well :(

You sure are. I'm afraid I couldn't compensate anyone with money since I am broke and this is a freeware program, but I thought that a little credit in the about box might be an attempt at a replacement. :P

And with 9,254 downloads (roughly), someone has seen your username... ;)