Installing MB caused Win 7 x64 to not boot

I'm supporting a user who has a machine with a relatively recent clean install of win 7 x64.

He installed Malwarebytes 1.44 for the very first time, and had no problems during the install. He was able to update it, and run a Quick Scan without any issues. The only thing that came up was the PreventActiveDisplay item that is a known non-issue on certain x64 systems.

Once the machine was rebooted, it reached the usual login screen. But after he logged in, the machine seemingly froze before it ever got to the desktop. Ordinarily, the login screen fades to black for a fraction of a second, before the desktop comes up. But in this case, it took a really long time before it faded to black, and then it just stayed on the black screen until I had to manually shut the machine down.

I was able to boot into safe mode and uninstall MB from there, after which the machine was able to boot normally once again.

When I examined the event logs for the attempted boot after install, it shows quite a number of failures, which started with an Event 4 (SPTD, "Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for."), continued with an Event 7026 (Service Control Manager, "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AsIO, discache, kl1, KLIF, spldr, sptd, Wanarpv6"), which spurned quite a bit of other errors as items couldn't load either.

Any ideas what caused this and how I can address it?

• Root Admin

Might have just been a fluke reboot. What Anti-Virus is running on the system?

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Before doing that though please review the FAQ to see about setting up file exclusions for your Anti-Virus.

Then once exclusions are setup launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.