This problem usually happens because malware is hijacking exe files on the computer.

But we don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

So please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

This problem usually happens because malware is hijacking exe files on the computer.

But we don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

So please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

@whatnow22

Get started with marktreg's suggestions right away. It is more than just a virus.

In cases like yours, it will take forcing the use of Task manager and then guiding it to start each utility (program) explicitely by name. Task Manager >>> New Task Run and then the program.

I mention this only just to facilitate your starting the diagnostic programs that will be needed.

@whatnow22

Get started with marktreg's suggestions right away. It is more than just a virus.

In cases like yours, it will take forcing the use of Task manager and then guiding it to start each utility (program) explicitely by name. Task Manager >>> New Task Run and then the program.

I mention this only just to facilitate your starting the diagnostic programs that will be needed.

like i said, she was able to download malwarebytes just fine, but cannot open it. so she's unable to get any further.

like i said, she was able to download malwarebytes just fine, but cannot open it. so she's unable to get any further.
@whatnow22

This is for Vista system only - to restore the EXE file association

Go to >> this page <<

Scroll down to (orange colored) attachments section

then download and save the file named exefix_cu.reg

Once saved, then RIGHT-Click on the file and then select Merge

Now, you will be able once more to run exe programs.

See this topic http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

Do as much as you can of the preliminaries.

Create a new topic in the Malware Removal sub-forum

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Copy and paste the logs of programs you managed to run.

Give details there re-stating the situation and tell us which antivirus app is installed and if it is up-to-date.

We cannot give you much more help here in -this- sub-forum.

@whatnow22

This is for Vista system only - to restore the EXE file association

Go to >> this page <<

Scroll down to (orange colored) attachments section

then download and save the file named exefix_cu.reg

Once saved, then RIGHT-Click on the file and then select Merge

Now, you will be able once more to run exe programs.

See this topic http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

Do as much as you can of the preliminaries.

Create a new topic in the Malware Removal sub-forum

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Copy and paste the logs of programs you managed to run.

Give details there re-stating the situation and tell us which antivirus app is installed and if it is up-to-date.

We cannot give you much more help here in -this- sub-forum.

Thank you sooooo much. I've given your instructions to my daughter, and I feel certain that will fix her problem. As soon as I hear from her, I'll let you know.