Alureon rootkit

On 2/23 I sent the following email to Malabytes support:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Dell 32-bit workstation running XP that was trashed when MS installed the KB997165 update on 2/10/10. With help I was able to uninstall the MS upgrade and turned off automatic updating and the WS is functional again.

Apparently (according to the link below) the reason I had the problem is because the WS was infected with the Alureon rootkit.

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010...on-rootkit.aspx

I am (and was) running your software on that WS, as well as Norton 360, and would like to know if Malaware software can (now?) detect and has hopefully already removed the Alureon problem, in which case it presumably is safe to resume allowing MS to install updates.

========================================

I haven't had a reply yet from the Support folks.

The MS link states 'That link states "A malware compromise of this type is serious, and if customers cannot confirm removal of the Alureon rootkit using their chosen anti-virus/anti-malware software, the most secure recommendation is for the owner of the system to back up important files and completely restore the system from a cleanly formatted disk." Not an attractive option!

Can anyone tell me how to determine if the XP ws is still infected with the alureon rootkit? And if it is, how to get rid of it so I can safely resume automatic security updates with incapacitating my WS?

Thanks,

Eric

You can identify any rootkit infected files by running an MD5 or SHA1 Hash check on them and then comparing the results with the hashes of clean files.

But we don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

So, if you would like an expert to check if your computer is clean, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.