Error Code 707, tried reinstall, tried rename, tried reboot, still no go

I am going crazy trying to install Malwarebytes. First, I was getting the error that said Windows could not find the file and/or that I would try to open it and nothing happened. So, I tried downloading the version that creates a randomly-generated "fake name" for the file. But when I try to run set-up from this, I get "Error Code 707 (3, 0)". I see from the FAQ on this forum that the solution for this error is to reinstall -- but I don't even get as far as installing in the first place. This error comes up immediately when I start set-up, no matter what the set-up .exe is named.

Each time, I uninstall MB and delete the set-up files, and empty the recycle bin, and reboot, trying to start "fresh", but I get the same problem, over and over.

I successfully installed MB on my computer about a month ago, but I seem to now have some kind of virus that interferes with me installing MB, so I can't figure out how to get rid of the virus, because I can't install MB!

Hello xmelinda, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Seems like malware is preventing you from being able to install and run Malwarebytes. Please follow the instructions below to have an Expert help you with your problem.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)