registry merges

hawes

whenever i go to control panel explorer freezes and i need to restart it to unfreeze it and this happens 1 2 or 3 times before i finally am able to get into control panel it happens always. My question is i think a registry key is missing and i dont know which key is missing so can i just copy a friends registry that has windows vista just like my computer that is windows viasa and merge it and will that work?

It's likely that one of the dll's used to render the Control Panel got corrupted or became unregistered. If it's the file itself that is corrupt or missing, SFC would likely repair it but it would require your Windows Vista DVD to do so. Otherwise, tracking down exactly which dll is needed would be necessary and then using an administrative command prompt to re-register it.

If you'd like I can take a look at a log that will show most if not all of the registered dll's for explorer.exe and compare it to that of my own system (also Vista) and figure out which one, if any, is not registered on your system.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks ;)

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

thanks exile but im to late I tried copying the registry from a friends computer and it worked but after i shut down my computer and started it the next day it wouldn't start so i had to reinstall. I felt like trying that before using the sysinternals because it was faster but it really did my computer in. I never knew doing that could cause so much damage to your computer. Does anybody know why

Yes, if you just grabbed the entire registry and imported it this could easily happen because there's so many keys and values in the registry that are unique to your hardware and your installation of Windows. All the info about your drivers and system is there and it tells Windows how to boot and what services to load and everything. You could have restored your registry from a backup using the Recovery Console, but reinstalling works too. Lesson learned I suppose (a hard one at that).

Next time you decide to play with the registry please be sure you know what you're doing and make a backup first:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Yes, if you just grabbed the entire registry and imported it this could easily happen because there's so many keys and values in the registry that are unique to your hardware and your installation of Windows. All the info about your drivers and system is there and it tells Windows how to boot and what services to load and everything. You could have restored your registry from a backup using the Recovery Console, but reinstalling works too. Lesson learned I suppose (a hard one at that).

Next time you decide to play with the registry please be sure you know what you're doing and make a backup first:

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

thanks to recap can i use erunt to just backup my system registrys and exclude my 3rd party software registry's? because if i can then that would of saved me from all of the troubles of the control panel crashing always i suppose?

There is only one registry :D. Values for Windows and third party software are all stored there. What I would advise is perhaps using ERUNT to make a registry backup before you install third party software that you believe might cause issues or you can use System Restore, which will also create a backup of the current state of the registry.

shoot i already started installing 3rd party programs onto my computer. Is it still fine if i backup my registry right now or will i need to do this without any 3rd party registry keys in the hive?

i know there is one registry but after looking at a picture of erunt i thought it has a feature that lets you backup the system registry separately from the 3rd party registry's. I have the link to the pic below.

http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/erunt.htm

No, it lets you choose between the SYSTEM registry hive and the Current User registry hives or allows you to back up both. Third party software will use both hives, generally the User hive is used to store per-user program settings. This way if you change your settings for a program and that program's settings are stored in the CU (CurrentUser) registry hive, another user who has a separate user account on the same machine can log in and have different settings for the same program, and their settings would be stored in their CU registry hive.

thanks for the clear up. so if i backup my hive right now even with 3rd party programs installed and a couple of months down the road my computer starts freezing like how it did recently with the control panel. Will merging the hive that i backed up today make my computer start working fine again if that happened down the road?

Perhaps, but like I said, some software also alters the SYSTEM hive. Generally System Restore is more reliable than a simple registry backup as it's not always an issue with a registry entry that causes these types of issues. Even then, I really recommend simply tracking down the issue with a diagnostic tool like Autoruns so that you can find the exact cause and hopefully fix it, thus allowing you to continue using all your third party software without having to try and guess which one caused the problem, having to restore each time the problem happens.

To use a tool like Autoruns to diagnose the problem that you had, I would have looked at your log and compared it to a log from a known working system and figure out which, if any, system DLL's were no longer showing up as being registered, then I'd use a batch file or command prompt to re-register the DLL which likely would have fixed it.

It really depends on the issue though. I can also use Autoruns to remove leftover drivers from already removed software, disable unneeded startup items and fix corrupted startup items by inspecting the path shown by Autoruns.

Honestly though, to use such a tool indepth requires knowledge and experience, it isn't a quick fix tool by any means unless you're familiar with what it is and how it works. You can learn a lot by taking a look at the information in the Sysinternals forum located here.

Most of what I've learned myself was never taught to me. I learned from experience, experimentation and research. Of course, there were plenty of times that I'd messed up my system so badly that I simply had to reinstall Windows in order to fix it so unless you have tons of time (and good data backups :lol:) it may not be something you want to get into. However, if you enjoy it then you can learn a lot from it.

Perhaps, but like I said, some software also alters the SYSTEM hive. Generally System Restore is more reliable than a simple registry backup as it's not always an issue with a registry entry that causes these types of issues. Even then, I really recommend simply tracking down the issue with a diagnostic tool like Autoruns so that you can find the exact cause and hopefully fix it, thus allowing you to continue using all your third party software without having to try and guess which one caused the problem, having to restore each time the problem happens.

ok i decided ill do a system restore. Seems the best option right now. Can i just do one and then turn it off to save space or will i need to have to keep it on always?

I would highly recommend leaving System Restore turned on, as you never know when you may have a future issue, but again, this is not a permanent solution. The only permanent solution is finding the exact cause and finding the fix for it, everything else is sort of a bandaid approach and the problem will likely repeat.

i agree but its hard learning all these technical computer variables. I dont even know where to start even though you helped me abit. I also found a program called paragon and macrium that do a backup of your computer but is that effect? do they actually backup everything like 3rd party software, registered software or do they do the same thing that SR does

Macrium Reflect Free is a good one. It does a total backup of everything, including the entire registry and all of your files, including your Windows folder and all of your installed programs. It's good should your hard drive fail or you have serious issues you can't recover from as it will let you go back to the exact state your system was in when you created the backup. Do note however, that it will also not have any files created or downloaded after the backup was created so if you store documents, pictures etc on the same drive you're doing the backup of and any of those are changed, deleted or added to, that they will be gone when you restore your system with Macrium. I'm not familiar with Paragon, but I suspect it works in a similar way. Norton Ghost is another that works this way. These tools go far beyond just backing up your registry and settings, they backup everything.