Blue Screen when scanning

My wife's computer has some malware that is causing google searches to redirect to nefarious sites. I went to run MalwareBytes and 30 seconds after I click to do a full scan I get a blue screen of death. I tried in both safe mode and normal with the same result. What;s more is when I try to restore using XP restore it says it can't restore from the chosen restore point. I tried 6 of them from the past month and none worked. I did run a chkdsk /r and that completed ok but I still get the blue screen when runnin scanning with MB. I've downloaded combofix from bleepingcomputer to try when I get home but any help would be appreciated.

Hello mrpolecat, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

The malware that you have on your computer is probably causing the blue screen due to the infection. Please follow the instructions below.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)