No .exe programs will run

mosby

Hello

On my roommates computer because my computer has some serious issues. Basically, if I click on any program the "open with" box appears and asks me to choose a program to use. I went into safe mode but same results.

After looking on the internet saw a few fixes recommending going into regedit and changing the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command default value to "%1" %*

but no success with that either. Also, there is no system restore point available (safe mode or regular), it just directs me to the "open with" box.

Quick summary of the events leading up to this. Been having random malware problems of late, would run malwarebytes, superantispyware, symantec and all was well. Except I would hear an audible noise as if "windows had problems running something sound" intermittently, which led me to believe some malware was still hanging out somewhere. Kept putting it off for later investigation. Yesterday, got malware, ran scan, removed couple trojans and then turned off computer after reboot. This morning, turn on computer and am in the current situation.

More information: I can still open folders for music and pictures. If I play music, after I close winamp I get a "winamp.exe - application error". Not sure how relevant that is but thought it might be useful

Just to restate, I am using a different computer right now. Any help would be extrememly appreciated.

Thank you

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry that your post was overlooked. Please advise if you have resolved your malware issues.

If not, and you want guided help here, tell me your specific version/edition of Windows,

your antivirus program, and if you have done a complete scan with your AV.

To fix the EXE issue use one of the following fixes, according to your Windows version:

• This is for Vista system only - to restore the EXE file association
    Go to >> this page <<
    Scroll down to (orange colored) attachments section
    then download and save the file named exefix_cu.reg
    Once saved, then RIGHT-Click on the file and then select Merge
  • For Windows XP systems only:
    Download >> this reg file << from Kelly's Korner
    and save it to your system. Right-click on it and then select Merge
    Now, you will be able once more to run exe programs.

See this sticky note in the Malware Removal sub-forum.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

Do as much as possible of the preliminaries (like getting and running DDS and GMER scans)

then follow the instructions, posting copies of contents of logs from MBAM, DDS & Gmer.

Put your replies here in this thread. Do NOT use the attach option feature.

Always Copy & Paste contents of logs into the main body of reply-text-box.

If you cannot download using this system, use another system, do the downloads, and burn to CD/DVD or a clean (new) USB drive, and transport & place tools on Desktop of infected system.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!