Malwarebytes freeze issue

Hi

this is just to confirm that i had the Malwarebytes freeze - several seconds into each scan - and was kindly given help by Malwarebytes technicians, but to no avail. Malwarebytes then refunded my subscription. I then ran the free version of Malwarebytes but with exactly the same result: freeze from anywhere between 5-60 seconds and then program unresponding. I post here for reference and for benefit of Malwarebytes users, and hope a fix for this issue will soon be discovered.

Thanks,

Ric

Previous thread reference: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...&hl=kr236rk

Hi

this is just to confirm that i had the Malwarebytes freeze - several seconds into each scan - and was kindly given help by Malwarebytes technicians, but to no avail. Malwarebytes then refunded my subscription. I then ran the free version of Malwarebytes but with exactly the same result: freeze from anywhere between 5-60 seconds and then program unresponding. I post here for reference and for benefit of Malwarebytes users, and hope a fix for this issue will soon be discovered.

Thanks,

Ric

Previous thread reference: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...&hl=kr236rk

Because I'm an obsessive problem solver, I spent enormous effort to get Malwarebytes' Free to work. It would stop responding at about 7700 files. Stopping on different ones. I can get a partial Scan now by unchecking Registry in Settings. My computer works ticky boo, other than this malfunction with Malwarebytes'. I use Glary Utilities and Regseeker to clean the registry.

@ PreacJjohn

Because I have been obsessively trying to keep my systems working at peak efficiency I do not use registry optimizers like Glary Utilities and RegSeeker as they have caused many problems with my XP Pro system.

I would not let them near my Windows 7 system even if I used them and a 10ft pole.

post-100-1266783139_thumb.jpg

Because I'm an obsessive problem solver, I spent enormous effort to get Malwarebytes' Free to work. It would stop responding at about 7700 files. Stopping on different ones. I can get a partial Scan now by unchecking Registry in Settings. My computer works ticky boo, other than this malfunction with Malwarebytes'. I use Glary Utilities and Regseeker to clean the registry.

Thanks Exile and PreacJohn,

Will let you know.

Hello PreacJohn :lol:

Please do the following to see if it fixes the issue:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Once that's done, try scanning with Malwarebytes' again and let me know if it still freezes. Thanks :P

kr236rk: Please let me know if unchecking the Always scan registry objects. eliminated the freezing or not. Thanks :)

• 1 month later...
Greetings :rolleyes:

There is currently ongoing investigation of this issue by the developers. For confirmation, if you open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click the Settings tab and uncheck Always scan registry objects., is the scan then able to complete or does it still freeze?

This finally worked for me, except for the hijack.display false positive I believe, but I'm using the free version so not sure that would matter. I will continue to use Malwarebytes on my other computers but I'm having to give up on this. I don't have the time and do not want to run all those programs for a hijack procedure. I've tried everything else in this forum, although I can't seem to find my previous posts. It just doesn't seem to run without freezing in Windows 7 for me.

Tim

This finally worked for me, except for the hijack.display false positive I believe, but I'm using the free version so not sure that would matter. I will continue to use Malwarebytes on my other computers but I'm having to give up on this. I don't have the time and do not want to run all those programs for a hijack procedure. I've tried everything else in this forum, although I can't seem to find my previous posts. It just doesn't seem to run without freezing in Windows 7 for me.

Tim

I might add that I did successfully run a full scan in safe mode, but that's the only way.

THanks

Tim

I had a similar problem as the original poster here.

When I unchecked "scan registry items" it scanned fine.

A few of us were trying to figure this out, and it turned out we all had Epson printers.

When I ended a certain spool program, all worked fine from then on. For others they had duplicate epson spooling entries, when one was deleted, it worked fine.

It was surprising, and confusing, but ultimately easy to resolve, all is working fine now, scanning registry items and all. There's a thread somewhere with my name on it that has the details.

have an XP which won't run Malwarebytes and a Vista which won't run McAfee; the former i have replaced with MS Defender and the latter Avast :-|

Thanks for posting kalimba, and I'm glad to hear it's still working for you. For anyone who is still experiencing freezes in the scanner when Always scan registry objects. is enabled you can use the following as a workaround. It simply temporarily stops the Print Spooler service, starts Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware so you can perform your scan, and then starts the Print Spooler service once more when you exit Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net stop Spooler
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%" "%programfiles(x86)%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe"
    if not exist "%programfiles(x86)%" "%programfiles%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe"
    net start Spooler
    exit

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file MBAM Scan.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
    • Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you must right-click the file and select Run as administrator for it to work properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I just encountered the problem above on a system with an Epson print driver installed: MBAM 1.45 would hang during a full scan. I tried the "net stop spooler" trick above and the scan completed properly. Thanks for the workaround.

Interestingly, the system would also hang if I did a full scan with A-squared free (MBAM running with run-time protection enabled) . Before I found this thread, I had closed MBAM from the sysbar icon's right-click menu and had tried again; the scan still hung. I had had to stop the MBAM service manually before I was able to run a full A2 scan successfully.

Also interestingly, all this time I had ESET Nod32 4.2 running. I *was* able to run a full Nod32 deep scan without disabling the MBAM service, and without stopping the print spooler.

Looks like I just encountered the problem above on a system with an Epson print driver installed: MBAM 1.45 would hang during a full scan. I tried the "net stop spooler" trick above and the scan completed properly. Thanks for the workaround.

Interestingly, the system would also hang if I did a full scan with A-squared free (MBAM running with run-time protection enabled) . Before I found this thread, I had closed MBAM from the sysbar icon's right-click menu and had tried again; the scan still hung. I had had to stop the MBAM service manually before I was able to run a full A2 scan successfully.

Also interestingly, all this time I had ESET Nod32 4.2 running. I *was* able to run a full Nod32 deep scan without disabling the MBAM service, and without stopping the print spooler.

I no longer run an Epsom printer on my pc. Would it not be simpler for me to just uninstall every trace of Epsom software on the computer please?

Thanks