Scan runs for awhile and then freezes on the same file

Hi. Hoping someone can help.

I am having trouble running a complete scan (quick scan runs fine) on my laptop. The complete scan will run and then it stops on the same file and freezes the system -- I am not able to do anything, including a shutdown. It does not create a log of the scan, no error codes or error messages are given.

The file name it is stopping on is C:\\windows\installer\$PatchCache$\managed\7B99B(and this number just continues across the screen.)

I am running the free version of Malwarebytes. I also use AVG and noticed some posts on the forum that mentioned conflicts between these two programs, but I have been running both programs on the same systems for some time without problems.

My laptop is running Vista.

Thanks for any help!!

Here<-- is a guide for AVG users to set the program to work with Malwarebytes - :lol:

Select the System that matches Yours - I think you mentioned Vista -

Thank You -

OK, I did all that, but the same thing still happens.

I did have one difference from the files listed to be excluded. The following file:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Note: For Vista and 7 users it would be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

is not in this folder, nor is it anywhere else. The only thing in the folder is mbam-setup.exe

What else should I try?

Hello m5nne :lol:

Please do the following:

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista:

• Click the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Once that is finished, try running a Full Scan once more to see if it completes or not.

Please let me know how it goes.