mbam full scan does finish only in "protected mode" (Vista)

It's not over till it's over :)

The issue still occurs :)

Hey, please tell me exile360, what is statistically the "average number of posts" to a thread in this forum, until a problem is fixed or one of the parties throws the towel ?

But I am sure we can fix this !

Thanks again for your support ! :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not over till it's over :)

Well, I'm very persistent and I tend to jump on problems that take more time to diagnose (such as the one you're having :)), so finding an answer can take time in cases such as this but I'll stick it out as long as you're willing to. I was really hoping that would be the answer though :).

A quick question, when you start MBAM to perform a scan do you receive a User Account Control prompt?

Oh thanks for not giving up ! :)

I am not quite sure what you mean by "User Account Control Prompt", but I can guess.

When I start Malwarebytes-Antimalware I do a rightclick on my fancy&impressing :) desktop-icon and then I click "start as Administrator", then -after two seconds- I see a pop-up-window (small) what asks me "you have to confirm to continue this process" and then I agree. After this Antimalware is starting and I choose the register "scanner" and then "full scan".

I think, this little pop-up window asking for an agreement is the USER Account Control Prompt, right ?

Yes, that's a User Account Control prompt (when the screen goes dark and you have to click Allow or Continue) :).

Why do you right-click on the icon and select Run as administrator? If you don't right click the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon and select Run as administrator do you still receive a User Account Control prompt?

Yes, when I doubleclick the MBAM-icon I also get a User Account Control prompt, I 've just tried.

I am anticipating your next question: When I start MBAM that way and then do a full scan, the loop still occurs, I 've checked it as well.

If only I could start MBAM as a 'terminator', maybe this would fix the issue ? :)

Thanks, I was just making sure that that was indeed the case. For the moment I'm at a loss unfortunately but stay tuned, I'll get someone else to look at this thread who may have ideas I haven't thought of yet :).

For the time being, you can go ahead and re-enable Diskeeper:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and type services.msc and press Enter
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Once the Services window opens, scroll down the list until you find the Diskeeper and double click on it
  • Click the drop down menu next to Startup Type and select Automatic then click the Start button to start the service
  • Click the Apply button and click on Ok
  • Close the Services control panel

I'm back :)

I've got something else for you to try:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Now go to C:\Users\myName\AppData\Local\Microsoft and right click on Windows and select Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and let me know if the freeze still happens, and if so, at which file it freezes or loops.

Yes, the loop still occurs. :)

It is n o t freezing at a special "place" (file), it is scanning one file after the other in this ...\windows\... - Directory (all the files which are in there I sent to you with my post#22) until the scan reaches the last file of this directory and then it continues to scan again with the first file of this directory and so on.... The scan ist not able to leave/to skip this directory. I think "looping" is the right expression, isn`t it ?

Hello again :lol:

If you're still with me and willing to help us out, then please do the following:

Create a ProcessMonitor Log:

• Please download ProcessMonitor from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on Procmon.exe to run it
  • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and make sure that Always scan registry opjects. is checked
  • In Process Monitor, click on File at the top and select Backing Files...
  • Click the circle to the left of Use file named: and click the ... button
  • Browse to your desktop and type MBAM Log in the File name: box and click Save
  • Now open Process Monitor again and click on Filter at the top and select Filter... from the list
  • Click on the first drop-down menu that says Architecture and select Process Name then click the third drop-down menu which should be blank and select mbam.exe
  • Click the Add button then click Apply and click OK
  • Start a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and when it freezes, try closing MBAM by ending its process in Task Manager or by whatever means you used previously to terminate it.
  • Now, right-click on the MBAM Log file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the MBAM Log.zip file you just created to your next reply.

Hello again :P

Please try the following:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab
  • Uncheck the box next to Always scan registry objects.
  • Try running a scan again to see if it freezes or not

Please post back with your results.

Okay, this is done ! Sorry, but the loop is still there. :lol:

Hello again :D

If you're still with me and willing to help us out, then please do the following:

Create a ProcessMonitor Log:

• Please download ProcessMonitor from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on Procmon.exe to run it
  • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and make sure that Always scan registry opjects. is checked
  • In Process Monitor, click on File at the top and select Backing Files...
  • Click the circle to the left of Use file named: and click the ... button
  • Browse to your desktop and type MBAM Log in the File name: box and click Save
  • Now open Process Monitor again and click on Filter at the top and select Filter... from the list
  • Click on the first drop-down menu that says Architecture and select Process Name then click the third drop-down menu which should be blank and select mbam.exe
  • Click the Add button then click Apply and click OK
  • Start a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and when it freezes, try closing MBAM by ending its process in Task Manager or by whatever means you used previously to terminate it.
  • Now, right-click on the MBAM Log file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the MBAM Log.zip file you just created to your next reply.

Okay, that sounds very sophisticated: :)

After I followed your instructions with the ProcessMonitor, and after I started the MBAM-Scan, 1 Minute later there appears a small nasty pop up (it is paralyzing my system) windows which says:

"Process Monitor does not work anymore.

More Information about that problem is collected. This may last some minutes..."

But this pop up remains for more than 10 minutes until I say "Good bye" to it. :lol:

Then I aborted the scan and started crying..... :P

Sorry, but what can I do now ? :lol:

There may be a bug in the way MBAM handles a certain def type and to test this it has been removed .

I need to know if scans with defs version 3780+ are free of this error .

I just tried it with version 3780 which I have udpated now. The scan is not free of this error, I am sorry to say. :)

Thanks for your efforts ;)

Virus_Fighter

Hi exile360,

I finished the tasks Ron asked me for and sent him a PN with the DDS-logs etc.

Unfortunately it was a scan with version 3779. The loop was still occurring and also there was a fund which I think it is "false positive" (I hope)

Then I reinstalled "Steganos Safe 2008" and also "Avira AntiVirus".

After my "work" I saw, that nosirrah would like me to repeat the scan with version 3780. I did the MBAM-scan without again deinstalling "Steganos" and "Avira".

Shall I ?

post-32989-1266938983_thumb.jpg

Thanks ;)

Please do the following:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box type or copy and paste mbam /developer Note the space between mbam and /
  • Run a Full Scan and stop the scan after it shows a detection and post the log from that scan
  • Also please zip and attach C:\Program Files\ElsterFormular\update.exe to your next post