MBA-M in Safe or Normal Mode

jholland1964

I don't want secret or technical information. I just am asking for a link/sticky that I can to point to which says how to run it and why certain things should or should not be done.
I'm sorry, I can't see such post or pinned topic at the moment.
99.9% of the average home computer users wouldn't understand technical information anyway, I know I wouldn't. That is not what I am requesting, I don't want technical information. I would just like to have an EASY link to point to when I receive these questions and be able to say, "this is their program and this is how THEY say to run it" and "that is why I am telling you to run it this way".
This isn't mentionned (as far as I see) except in posts like this one.

In fact I don't understand why telling you that is not enough and you want a link. Link to this thread, and if necessary, ask directly developers for a post where they confirm this.

As I said, there are no "Instructions on the Correct Running Of MBA-M", you can run it in safe mode if you have no active malware that alters safe mode. Your question cannot be answered by a yes or no answer. It depends.

I don't understand why people don't understand my questions or comments.
About understanding, english is not my first language, so maybe I misunderstood some of your words. If so I'm sorry, someone else will surely answer better than I did.

Greetings ;)

I was reading this thread and thought I'd drop my comments in. Many infections these days use different methods when they block Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from being able to run. Some delete files, some block it from running based on name and some use other more complex means. With these infections, and most modern infections honestly, Safe Mode usually doesn't work at all, either because they break Safe Mode as mentioned previously by Falkra, or the methods used by the infections remain active in Safe Mode. Long ago Safe Mode worked 99% of the time when tools weren't working in Normal Mode, but now the makers of malicious software have become wise to that fact and have created new methods to prevent that from working. There are many tricks to getting MBAM to run against such infections, but more often than not these days it is very specific to the exact infection you're dealing with so a sticky on the subject of running MBAM in Safe Mode would do little good.

I believe a much more useful resource is to look at the guides posted here as they detail how to deal with specific infections and how to use the appropriate method in each case to get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to run when it is blocked, including Safe Mode when necessary.

Under ideal conditions Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is most effective when run in Normal Mode using the Quick Scan option as this allows it to fully utilize its heuristics detection capabilities and its drivers for catching and killing the nastiest of malware. The use of Safe Mode is a last resort when other means fail, and when they fail unfortunately, usually Safe Mode does not work either (although that of course is not always the case, but usually it is). Even then, once enough of the infection has been removed in Safe Mode, a subsequent scan in Normal Mode is always recommended so that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can use its most powerful features to catch whatever infections might still remain on the system.

I hope that I've sufficiently replied to your query, I am not trying to be argumentative, I'm simply trying to explain why I feel that such a stickied post would do little good for most users in the majority of cases. Of course your comments and suggestions are always welcomed as the developers are always looking for user feedback so that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and the website can be improved for our users.

Thank you very much for your input on this matter :).

Greetings ;)

I was reading this thread and thought I'd drop my comments in. Many infections these days use different methods when they block Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from being able to run. Some delete files, some block it from running based on name and some use other more complex means. With these infections, and most modern infections honestly, Safe Mode usually doesn't work at all, either because they break Safe Mode as mentioned previously by Falkra, or the methods used by the infections remain active in Safe Mode. Long ago Safe Mode worked 99% of the time when tools weren't working in Normal Mode, but now the makers of malicious software have become wise to that fact and have created new methods to prevent that from working. There are many tricks to getting MBAM to run against such infections, but more often than not these days it is very specific to the exact infection you're dealing with so a sticky on the subject of running MBAM in Safe Mode would do little good.

I believe a much more useful resource is to look at the guides posted here as they detail how to deal with specific infections and how to use the appropriate method in each case to get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to run when it is blocked, including Safe Mode when necessary.

Under ideal conditions Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is most effective when run in Normal Mode using the Quick Scan option as this allows it to fully utilize its heuristics detection capabilities and its drivers for catching and killing the nastiest of malware. The use of Safe Mode is a last resort when other means fail, and when they fail unfortunately, usually Safe Mode does not work either (although that of course is not always the case, but usually it is). Even then, once enough of the infection has been removed in Safe Mode, a subsequent scan in Normal Mode is always recommended so that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can use its most powerful features to catch whatever infections might still remain on the system.

I hope that I've sufficiently replied to your query, I am not trying to be argumentative, I'm simply trying to explain why I feel that such a stickied post would do little good for most users in the majority of cases. Of course your comments and suggestions are always welcomed as the developers are always looking for user feedback so that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and the website can be improved for our users.

Thank you very much for your input on this matter :).

THANK YOU!!! This is what I have asked for all along, meaning your post here exile360 . A concise piece of information that I can cite IF needed to completely inform people when they question our reason on how to properly run MBA-M. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have also bookmarked your link for future reference also. It will GREATLY help us at the other four forums where I work to help others. Thank you again!

Judy

You are very welcome Judy ;)

I am glad that I could be of service. This modern malware is tricky stuff, and anti-malware warriors such as yourself always have to adapt to stay on top, as do the tools you use such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. When you read through some of those tutorials you'll find a wealth of great info on how to take down some of the nastiest infections in existence and thanks to Metallica, one of our staff members here, it gets updated quite frequently with new and detailed info on how to kill the latest nasties.

If you require anything else please post.

You are very welcome Judy ;)

I am glad that I could be of service. This modern malware is tricky stuff, and anti-malware warriors such as yourself always have to adapt to stay on top, as do the tools you use such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. When you read through some of those tutorials you'll find a wealth of great info on how to take down some of the nastiest infections in existence and thanks to Metallica, one of our staff members here, it gets updated quite frequently with new and detailed info on how to kill the latest nasties.

If you require anything else please post.

I really do my very best to stay on top of all these for sure! Thanks again for giving me a response that I can really use!

And no, I will not hesitate to post other questions.

Thank you so much.

Thanks Samuel. The paragraph above would be a nice addition to the program help file. I have helped people over the telephone remove infections in Safe Mode with Malwarebytes free because that is the only mode that they could run it. I then instructed them to reboot in Normal Mode and run Malwarebytes again. I don't know of another option for these users. When I have the PC, I can boot from CD and scan the disk drive but this type of scan cannot be done remotely - - particularly when the infection has blocked internet connection.