What is the difference between free and paid versions of Malwarebytes

twospirit

Hi, I am twospirit and I live in the Western Washington State, USA.

To get right to the point... What is the difference between the free and paid versions of Malewarebytes (MWB)? I have not been able to find a comparison chart of your Web Site. Or, to put it another way... Why would I want to choose the paid version over the free version?

While I am brand new to the MWB Forums, I have been using the MWB Free Version for near 6 months. I find Malwarebytes very easy to use. Finally someone came up with a good interface for use by us non-geeks.

Why I even have a good success story using MWB Free. Within the last week and a half, it seems that I was having to compete with my computer as to where I wanted to navigate. Obviously something was a-foot here in a not so good way.

It had been two weeks since I ran MWB. I used to use AVAST Antivirus and it and MWB did not play well together. Thus the Manual Scans. I now use MS Security Essentials which does not throw a hissy when MWB is doing its' thing.

My, was I surprised when the Scan revealed that I had been invaded. Specifically, "Security Patrol" which was embedded in and piece of software called, "Total Copy Files". I do not recall that I downloaded this Application. But is was there and unleashed Security Patrol. Thanks to MWB, it discovered and deleted every thing have to do with the nasty files.

On last thing. The day before I got busy and used MWB to take care of my protlem(s), I had read a blurb in the "How To Geek" Newsletter. Gee! Do you suppose I was being prompted what the problem was to be?

Y'all Take Care, Ya' Hear! (I live in Washington State, but I am from Austin, Texas)

Hello twospirit, and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

Maybe someone will stop by and give a a comparison, but here is my feeble attempt to tell you the difference.

The free and pro versions are exactly the same product. The exception being that in the Pro version you will have real time protection, scheduled updates and scans. The pro version also has the IP Protection module that will help block unsafe web sites.

The cost of the full version is quite inexpensive and well worth the price considering its a one time charge for a lifetime subscription to the database updates as well as program updates.

Tech support is free whether you use the free version or paid version.

Hi twospirit -

Just to add to the description that Firefox has just given , with Real Time (always running) protection , you should not have the infections sneak past as with the free version - Free = You only scan and update every few days (if you remember) -V- Paid = The program will always update and scan every day (even if you forget) -

With the free version you are always chasing your tail to find out how many infections have got past , then you try to remove them sometimes days after you have been infected - The paid version is always on and will catch most infections as they try to get in - Hope this adds just a bit to Firefoxes advice -

Thank You - :)

• 11 months later...
Malwarebytes Free Version can be used to scan your computer and remove malware only.

Malwarebytes Paid Version can be used to help prevent malware infections before they happen, aswell as scan your computer and remove malware.

I have three computers in my home, but I haven't set up a home network yet. Would I need to buy the paid version for each computer?

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, Texanne said:

Hello - Firefox said above that buying a subscription to Malwarebytes is "one time charge for a lifetime subscription."  But when I went in to upgrade it showed $39.95 for one year.  ?  Thank you.

Well that's because you posted in a topic that is 8 years old... this does not apply any longer.  Back in the day, they had lifetime licenses, those are no longer available.  Its a yearly subscription now.

Edited by Firefox

• gonzo locked this topic