Avast & MalwareBytes ?

JerryB52

I want to install MalwareBytes on my computer , but will this conflict with Avast antivirus that I have now???

Thanks... ;)

;)

Avast V5.0.377 to present release (.396) is not playing nice with MB real time protection. The system freezes, and will not respond to any commands. Shutdown to re-boot has to be accomplished by PC power button only (not nice). I copied the following processes & files (below) to Avast's exclusions (all settings with exclusion's), as suggested in this forum on another thread, and this problem is still occurring. Avast 4.8 worked perfectly with MB real time protection. Until the Avast team and the MB team work out this conflict, I would stick to using Avast 4.8 with MB.

I am not very tech savvy at all so I have been reading the forums at MB, Avast and other tech sites as well about Malwarebytes and Avast having conflicts. There are numerous reports of this same problem, especially with Windows XP users as well as with Windows 7 and Vista.

I love my MB with real time protection enabled. MB is a great Anti-Malware program and I recommend using it. The free version is just as good but it does not have real time protection. I personally feel naked with out using the real time protection!

I also like the new version 5 of Avast Free as well as past versions but there are kinks to work out with using the two programs together if you use the full version of MB with real time protection enabled. I eagerly await the fix soon!

I hope this post will help.

Here are the processes and files to add to Avast's exclusions:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

PC: Gateway Laptop, 2 GB memory

Programs: MB full (paid) 1.44, Avast Free V5.0.396 (latest release), Comodo Firewall, Win Patrol Plus (latest release), and other Anti-Malware programs set to on demand at present.

Please see my post at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=37726&view=findpost&p=191185

See the attached pictures with the first of WinPatrol Delay Start of MBAM and delaying avast! load at boot up.

I think the protection module in general is the issue. I've tried starting the protection after start up and it still locks up. The only you can do is move the mouse. Everything such as the start menu button,mouse buttons etc don't work. Personally I think the best option is to keep malwarebytes' as on demand until this gets sorted out.

Huh, this is going to be a long debate...