Host Files question part 2

CCMUA2009

I think almost all A/V programs monitor for HOSTS file injections to some degree, however given that Windows Defender isn't a full fledged Anti-Virus (and that it a Microsoft security product) I don't think it does, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can answer this question better.

Hey CCMUA2009,

To my knowledge, not all anti-virus programs monitor the HOSTS file. I don't know of any actually that do. AVG, Antivir (free) both do not to my knowledge. Windows Defender does monitor changes to the HOSTS file as well as WinPatrol.

Regards,

Keith

• Staff
So does windows defender monitor the host files in Vista?

Yes, but it does not specify what changes have been made when it's altered, only that it has been altered and it will only notify you if you have Windows Defender set to notify you of changes made by unidentified programs, which is not the default.

exile360

Where in Windows Defender is the setting for "notify you of changes made by unidentified programs" because I do not see that setting in Windows Defender on my Win7 nor my XP Pro system.

I get alerts from Windows Defender when the HOSTS file is changed on my XP Pro system but not on Win7.

• Staff

It's in Vista, not 7, and possibly not XP (I haven't used XP with WD for so long I can't remember now). In Vista, WD can be used much like TeaTimer for guarding against unauthorized changes, but the mode I have it set to is that it allows the change to occur but always notify me :D . As for 7, I seem to recall we discussed that it was quite different once before. Here's the entire settings screen from Windows Defender in Windows Vista:

post-2103-1264463539_thumb.png

Your display is the same as my XP Pro Windows Defender however the version I have on Window 7 lookes totally different.

On Windows 7 in Help options then About Windows Defender it says:

Client Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Engine Version: 1.1.5405.0

Antispyware definitions: 1.73.96.0

On Xp Pro it says:

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0

Engine Version: 1.1.5405.0

Definition Version: 1.73.110.0

Product ID: 81664-512-5333412-04571

Does Vista come with Windows Defender already installed like Windows 7 does?

• Staff
Does Vista come with Windows Defender already installed like Windows 7 does?

Yes it does, but Microsoft severely crippled the version included with 7 (many around the web have commented on it) by removing many features such as the options I mentioned as well as Software Explorer. In Vista and XP it's a pretty powerful app, but in 7 it's little more than just another background definitions based scanner :D .

Yes it does, but Microsoft severely crippled the version included with 7 (many around the web have commented on it) by removing many features such as the options I mentioned as well as Software Explorer.

That's very interesting. I didn't realise that they'd done that with Win7. I have Vista & really appreciate being notified of system changes with Windows Defender & I also use the software explorer often too. Ah well.... (I know there are probably other things you can download for both those functions, but it's easy to use and convenient having it in WD).