WISE Firewall conflict @ startup with MBAM 1.44

Hi:

Just upgraded from MBAM 1.44 Free to Pro on my Win7 Pro 32 laptop running Webroot Internet Security Essentials (FW/AV) and it appears the FW is blocking MBAM at startup. System specs are in my signature below.

Details:

I had to uninstall/clean/reinstall MBAM Free 2 times last week to get it to work. I had to do some troubleshooting.

That eventually entailed disabling the WISE suite FW/AV during installation, manually checking to be sure the MBAM EXE files were allowed (WISE wouldn't let me exclude the DLL, SYS or REF files).

But after that, Free worked fine.

Today, I upgraded to Pro, but I probably erred b/c I did not disable the FW/AV during the activation of the protection module features.

Even though the MBAM EXE files are still listed as "allowed" in the FW and even though MB is still listed as a trusted publisher, MBAM hangs on startup if I set the protection module to run @ Windows startup.

The WISE firewall doesn't seem to be all that configurable for the end user in terms of adding the other MBAM files.

I talked to Webroot TS last week and got a guy who runs MBAM Free on his system with WISE. Like me, he had/has no problems with Free, but I suspect WISE FW isn't going to cooperate with MBAM loading at startup. :)

AFAIK, MBAM Pro is working OK, so long as I don't try to run it at startup.

So, I guess my options are:

1) Disable MBAM to run at startup and just start active protection as soon as the system has booted.

2) Get the registry tweak from you to delay MBAM startup (assuming that will fix the problem, even though I really hate the idea of a REGEDIT).

3) Uninstall/clean/reinstall MBAM Pro again, this time being sure the FW/AV are disabled during install (even though I'm not sure this will resolve the problem).

4) Something else???

Would sure appreciate your help!

(Everyone here has been super nice and super helpful, and the program is great, which is why I upgraded today!)

Thanks,

daledoc1

@ daledoc1 -

1) Disable MBAM to run at startup and just start active protection as soon as the system has booted.

MBAM is usually set as delayed startup so it will not conflict with other startup programs - Others may have more detailed information on this -

3) Uninstall/clean/reinstall MBAM Pro again, this time being sure the FW/AV are disabled during install

This can be done as listed in the link below from AdvancedSetup -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=184540

Hope this helps - :)

@ daledoc1 -

MBAM is usually set as delayed startup so it will not conflict with other startup programs - Others may have more detailed information on this -

Actually, I think there's a registry tweak needed for this (I saw something from one of the MB tech staff last week about this). I think it depends on both the OS and FW - has to be individualized. IOW, if you get a conflict, tweak the reg to delay MBAM at startup. Unless I didn't understand what they were explaining, which is most certainly possible!

This can be done as listed in the link below from AdvancedSetup -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=184540

Hope this helps - :)

Yes, thanks!

I'm almost an expert on uninstall/reinstall now!

I had to do all that at least twice last week before I got Free to install and work OK -- mostly b/c I didn't know about the cleaner, I hadn't disabled the FW/AV during the 1st MBAM install, and b/c there were also a couple of FW tweaks needed (beyond program exclusions) and for that I had to get help from Webroot.

I have a feeling this won't solve this particular issue, though, because all the program exclusions are already specified (to the extent that WISE FW will let me), and b/c it's only a "startup" issue -- IOW MBAM and WISE play fine when they don't try to load together. :)

Since it's all working OK (aside from this), I might just sit tight for now.

My brain is on the verge of exploding.

Kinda bummed.

It's not a problem to manually start the protection module after booting up, but I wish WISE and MBAM would play nice together when loading. :)

Oh, well!

Thanks!!!!

daledoc1

• Root Admin
It's not a problem to manually start the protection module after booting up

daledoc1

That is what the delay registry fix is for that GT500 offered you. It will delay the load of MBAM on it's own and after a set amount of time will automatically then load it. Normally most systems are okay with about a 2 minute delay.

That is what the delay registry fix is for that GT500 offered you. It will delay the load of MBAM on it's own and after a set amount of time will automatically then load it. Normally most systems are okay with about a 2 minute delay.

Hi, Ron:

OK, thanks.

Yes, it would need a bit of delay on WISE -- it runs an internal program "scan" and check for updates when it loads, so I'd want to get all that done before starting the MBAM protection.

From what you're describing, that value could be set to anything (within reason)? Or is it fixed at 2 minutes?

Let me think about it -- I'm generally pretty squeamish about editing the REG (largely b/c I'm pretty much of a computer dolt).

I think I'll just manually start MBAM after booting for a while and see how that goes.

Thanks!

daledoc1

Hi, daledoc1. If you're uneasy making registry changes, the very useful program WinPatrol will let you set delayed startups very easily. You can set the delay to be anything you like. WinPatrol comes in both a free and a commercial version. I think both versions offer the delayed startup feature. Thus, you can give the freeware version a try, and if you like it, you may eventually opt for the PLUS version. The PLUS version offers you a lot of helpful information about what's in your startup menu and whether you really need it or can safely disable or remove a program. Also, the plus version can be used on all your computers, and once you pay for it, you never have to pay for any updates. I should add that I have no connection to the company--I just like the program a LOT.

Hi, daledoc1. If you're uneasy making registry changes, the very useful program WinPatrol will let you set delayed startups very easily. You can set the delay to be anything you like. WinPatrol comes in both a free and a commercial version. I think both versions offer the delayed startup feature. Thus, you can give the freeware version a try, and if you like it, you may eventually opt for the PLUS version. The PLUS version offers you a lot of helpful information about what's in your startup menu and whether you really need it or can safely disable or remove a program. Also, the plus version can be used on all your computers, and once you pay for it, you never have to pay for any updates. I should add that I have no connection to the company--I just like the program a LOT.

Hi, WMW:

Thanks!

I checked out WinPatrol 17 and it looks great!

The delayed startup function looks like *just* what I need (esp since I think I can use it for the supergrande all-in-one printer drivers/software that take a while to load & slow my boot time).

Thanks for the tip!

daledoc1