Really bad false positive - ALL UNINSTALL INFO ??

glnz

My first MalwareBytes sweep on an old WinXPPro SP3 machine was going to delete this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

But isn't that ALL the uninstall information for every program??

MalwareBytes said it was "Rogue.ControlCenter", but I checked my Registry and that does not seem right, so I did NOT remove it.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Here it is (with the particular line bolded in violet - please note that I had UNchecked it so it was NOT deleted). By the way, I don't understand why the OTHER lines were not deleted -- they should have been deleted.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3591

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/18/2010 4:10:48 PM

mbam-log-2010-01-18 (16-10-43).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 301708

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 54 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 6

Registry Values Infected: 1

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.

Dear Messrs. R. Ducky and TeMerc:

Thanks for VERY fast responses to my post. Yours are the quickest responses I've received on ANY forum, and one of them from the CEO to boot! (Hey, do I get a framed certificate?)

I did re-update (second time today) and re-scan, and -- yes indeed -- you have fixed the false positive.

I discovered MalwareBytes only this past October when my wife's WinXP laptop was suddenly infected by a fake "anti-malware" malware, and Google showed that only you had the fix (which was correct - you did). Since then, you've helped keep us clean as a new car. MalwareBytes is now in my Top 10 list, right up there with SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware (as well as Avast AV Home Free).

Mighty fine company, gents.

Thanks again!