VIPRE v MBAM

JeffD

Guys,

Just had a battle royal with my daughters laptop (AVG (free) didn't protect it), she's 800 miles away so I had to use "Logmein" to connect remotely. Anyway, I have used MBAM for maybe 2 years or so and as an IT Pro I get a lot of "homework" from friends in need! This battle had ne scratching my head because MBAM would not run on daughters lappy and I couldn't install GMER or any other security stuff. I did manage to get VIPRE instaled but it kept find the same stuff and didn't fix the problem. The silver bullet came in the form of "RootRepeal" (found on the forum), I was then able to get MBAM to run and do a cleanup. My site licence for Vipre is up for renewal in a few days and now I'm wondering I should just rely on MBAM for all my machines - it clearly is the best but I have tended to use it mainly as my toolbox secret weapon and for doing occasional scans to confirm that whatever AV I'm using is working. I still prefer a layered approach to security so it might be better to continue as I am. I'm pretty sure that the paid for version of MBAM and Vipre will fight - so anyone like to comment and suggest what I should do?

Regards

Jeff (UK)

I like avast! anti virus as it works well with MBAM and avast! V5 is looking great.

WinPatrol is good as as well as it is a system monitor and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge:

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Purpose of MBAM is NOT to replace AV. MBAM is there to support your AV when it itself fails :)

By using only MBAM as active protection you would leave your system vulnerable.

Yeah, that's been my thinking for the past few years, just seems a pity to give our money to the AV vendors instead of MBAM.

I like avast! anti virus as it works well with MBAM and avast! V5 is looking great.

WinPatrol is good as as well as it is a system monitor and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge:

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

I haven't used Avast for year but it's always had a good rep. You don't get any probs with having 2 system protectors running at the same time? I don't usually like having 2 things doing the same job but might give it a go.

I believe in Layered Defense for my system.

• anti virus application that is kept up to date like avast!
  • anti malware application like MBAM that is kept up to date
  • A watchdog like WinPatrol to watch over the system monitors

That's why WinPatrol's mascot is a Scotty dog.

I believe in Layered Defense for my system.
  • anti virus application that is kept up to date like avast!
  • anti malware application like MBAM that is kept up to date
  • A watchdog like WinPatrol to watch over the system monitors

That's why WinPatrol's mascot is a Scotty dog.

Nice to talk to someone else who is paranoid he, he. I usually find people's eyes glaze over when talking about layered security. I have a Linux Smoothwall as my gateway and have similar stuff to you. I use Process guard on a couple of my machines. I did use Spybot S&D and other bits but got tired of having to update everything on 9 machines (XP + UBuntu + Suse + Win7 + Vista). I did use Fsecure internet suite for a few years but it was always a system hog so I swapped to Vipre about a year ago and I really do like it. I also have their (Sunbelt) firewall (the old tweaked up Kerio fw) but Sunbelt are just about to release a security suite so I'm looking forward to giving that some poke.

I'm just doing an email to my daughter to recommend what she does to avoid getting infected again. I'm going to recommend Avast, along with regular scans with MBAM. I think the paid for version of MBAM along with Process Guard will prolly do pretty much what Winpatrol does but not sure, what do think?

I'm not paranoid just careful but my eyes glaze over when people mention Linux and people like below offer advice. :)

I can't comment about Process Guard but I have been using WinPatrol as long as MBAM has been available:

http://www.oldapps.com/WinPatrol.php?old_winpatrol=10#About

• 2 weeks later...