Linksys router question

Amethyst

Hi there...

My Linksys WRT54G has been acting up recently. Last night the router quit entirely and I had to reinstall from scratch before I could even update the firmware. (Fortunately that did work, and I had a backup of my settings saved and the firmware update already saved to my hard drive, so once I got the reinstall done, the rest was easy.) I suspect the Linksys, after 3 years, may be about to die on me. I'm told that's a pretty long life for a Linksys. ;) Since we live in the sticks, I'm ordering a replacement to have on deck so we're not several days with only one device directly on the modem.

I'm about to order a WRT54G2 and I see it comes with "Network Magic" software. I do intend to use the installation CD to do the setup, but I don't want to install any other software. A reviewer had mentioned software that came with this router 'hijacking' his network settings. I just want to make sure that one is given the OPTION to install this "Network Magic" or not. (I would be choosing the 'not', of course. :D )

Does not look boring http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/CNMPRO# You probably don't need any extras but check the video. It might "hijack" networking but how else would it work? I noticed references to a trial TREND when she speaks of home network defender, about 1.49. Be careful about installing whatever 3rd party hidden in Magic. If not possible to unselect Trend during installation there might be a little hijacking after all. Depends on your existing setup and how much of an annoyance Trend is to that. Tool itself cant possibly hurt.

Does not look boring http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/CNMPRO# You probably don't need any extras but check the video. It might "hijack" networking but how else would it work? I noticed references to a trial TREND when she speaks of home network defender, about 1.49. Be careful about installing whatever 3rd party hidden in Magic. If not possible to unselect Trend during installation there might be a little hijacking after all. Depends on your existing setup and how much of an annoyance Trend is to that. Tool itself cant possibly hurt.

Thank you for your response. ;)

No, I don't want any extras at all in the way of software. (I'm not big into installing stuff unless absolutely necessary.) My network is just fine as is. I just wanted to make sure that installing Network Magic is actually optional and that it didn't install itself automatically when you pop in the setup CD or that you don't need it to run the router setup itself. I suspect it is optional. Actually, from a quick glance at the Linksys forums, I suspect it is a trial version that is installed. The people in the know say that you don't need it to use the router.

Re the AV (Trend), my current router came with the option to install a trial of Norton Internet Security as well, which I didn't want or need, that didn't install itself automatically.

It was a reviewer on the Amazon.ca site who was unhappy about the network hijacking. Quote: "The software that comes with this router is very poor. I installed a setup program that I ended up running System Restore to get rid of, as it installed new software that overtook my previous wireless management application." and " For those just looking to set up a quick wireless network in their residence without wanting to get into too many advanced settings, the setup wizard included will do the job, but you might have to tolerate a hostile takeover of programs you used to use for networking and not experience the advanced settings that allow you to make your network more secure and tailored to your needs."

BTW, I phoned Linksys about this, and a fellow there said no, you do not have to install the Network Magic. Then he tried really hard to get me to buy my new router directly from Linksys. I declined because courier delivery options here are rather poor, whereas amazon.ca will send by parcel post. He told me Amazon's routers are all refurbished (so I shouldn't buy from them). I kind of found that hard to believe, so it basically threw a dash of cold water on the credibility of the rest of what he said as well. I then phoned Amazon, and they said that their routers are brand new, unused, and if they do sell refurbished items, that would be in the product description.

No CD probably has a connection wizzard thingy which will see too connectons are set up properly with pwords, encryption. Even that is not absolutely necessary. XP after SP2 is compatible with best encryption like WPA2 or so I think... Most can connect directly to router with no gadgets.

Video is of Pro Magic. Have no idea what you get but I seriously doubt any changes it make cant be restored - with the exception of TREND stuff. May be you get Mcafee instead :D Potential problem with that.

Was about to say dump the cd and just download latest version your self. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G2/download oh setup wizzard is 282mb and an iso. They really really want you do consider ;)

Hello Firefox,

A computer tech I spoke to today said he never uses the install CD either and doesn't recommend it. He just tells people to plug the router in...That was for a brand of router I had never heard of and the only brand he sells. (So I chose to order a Linksys instead because I've found mine easy to work with.)

So all I have to do is turn everything off (modem, router, computer), replace the router, turn it all back on in order--modem, then router, then computer and I should be able to access the setup page the usual way? Ideally, the router should pick up all the info it needs from the modem automatically, just a matter of getting my wireless devices to connect...It should be easy to set up security as well and I've downloaded the user manual.

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself here.

I just wondered if any of you other Linksys users had encountered this router and the (unwanted) goodies on the installation CD, and if the additional (unwanted) goodies are or are not installed automatically. ;)

I'll be asking for a walk through if I do go without the CD, definitely.

I didn't use the 'secure easy setup' when I was setting up my current router either. I tried that once and for some reason it didn't work, so I set it up manually and it was still very simple.

All you need to know is not default details of connections to whatever you use routher for. Encryption standards, password, keyphrase and such. You should write that down on paper. When that works you can play with extras from Linksys and friends. If you can't install anything without getting all the Trend stuff thrown in forget about the cd. If something goes wrong you can always go back to a Windows vs. router only situation that has already proved to work.

I have an older WRT54GL router with 3rd party firmware. Have experimented a lot so know Linksys unofficial forums, http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/ to be precise. Unless something is physically broken each and every time someone get into trouble it is because they don't understand what RTFM maeans or should not experiment at all ;) Unless interested in tweaking router and connection just do what manual says.

What might be more importan than Linksys/Trend tricks is how connectivity is between your new router and wireless part. If no problems at all rest is just settings.

Will do, thanks Firefox.

I've posted at the Linksys site and so far have only received one response from a very new user, and that person says the Net Magic software installs automatically. If that's the case, that's really poor performance, as far as I'm concerned. I would have expected a screen where you are asked first.

I've seen a few screen shots of the settings pages, and it looks quite similar to what I have. I have the WRT54G, and the one I'm getting is the WRT54G2. I find the WRT54G's settings quite easy to work with, it looks like the G2 has a bit more, plus higher security. Being in the middle of a section, I don't expect anyone to hack into our wireless network, so WEP is probably good enough.

I'll be back if I have more questions (of course, don't I *always* have questions? LOL!)

I was bored so downloaded the iso for WRT54G2 hardware version 1.5. Well see pics. You don't get Trend stuff but Magic program will be installed during the walk-through of setting things up. What happens when you click Setup. There is a folder with a bunch of jpgs in it. Just shows how to put in keyphrases and such. You already know that.

Then I installed Network Magic. Seems nice but a 7 day trial not a full version. So unless Trend is free you get zero from Linksys.

Magic installs both services and startup, most ask for internet access. There is also a WebEX component, for remote stuff I guess. Probably the "WebEx support manager for internet explorer" entry in add/remove. Can see it can go wrong if wrong buttons are pushed. GUI can be shut down but it is always running. Uninstalls ok. Google for more pics, I can see use for this if a family have a network, the more devices the more reason - and if it was free :) When done with uninstalling browser opens with this http://www.trialpay.com/checkout/?c=dfb5567&tid=6rGUpC- or you can get Magic for free if you do trialpay. They list price as 30$.

post-12692-1263688712_thumb.png

post-12692-1263688743_thumb.png

post-12692-1263689388_thumb.png

Thanks for sharing that with us, JS9600. From that first screenshot, one would get the impression that the setup thing would be only for setting up the router itself, and it looks like installing Network Magic and Trend are each separate from that as two additional operations. So you're saying that clicking on that set up button in the first picture starts installing Network Magic as well? The first screen makes it look like installing Network Magic is a separate operation from just installing the router setup. You've said Trend is not installed automatically. I see that Trend has its own button to click on the first screen as well. So, again, it looks like it is a totally separate installation not included in the setup of the router itself.

Anyway, I don't want any additional network handling software, never did. I'm fine with what I have. I just didn't want something unexpected getting installed on my system, so I'm glad I looked into it.

Thank you again for all the effort you've put into this. :) It's good to see the screenshots. I've been looking for some but haven't found any yet.

Exactly, user must read "it will also install Cisco Network Magic software..." from pic no. 2 even if they have no intention of clicking Install network magic button! Worse than opt-out trick from free (with toolbar) software. No mentioning of a trial version either. I only noticed it was trial when I click about in help menu. Which means people will spend days setting all this up - only to discover it shuts down unless they pay.

Trend is bad enough but if you already have some parental control in place I can also see conflict with Magic. Includes much control itself, like shutting down devices at certain time, logging, other control features. How well will that work?

Tricky bundling method. I think I was wrong in saying it was harmless :) still looks like a useful tool though.

-

I usually get fed up with setting things like this up , so I do a basic setup then just call the ISP and tell them what I have, then get them to make sure it is set to their default settings and leave it at that - Then if there is any problem I call them and tell them it must be their fault - :)

Even though it is my second Linksys I still read and did the basics then called them (ISP) and left it up to them - :)

@ noknojon

I have a new 2Wire 2701 modem from my ISP that provided a CD for setup but it tried to install a whole bunch of software I did not want so I canceled the installation.

I called the ISP Help line and a very courteous person walked me through the modem setup in no time at all.

Hmm...

Sometimes, depending on the individual you happen to get on the phone, my ISP can be a bit snippy when it comes to the issue of routers. I mean some techs won't even talk about routers, so I wouldn't necessarily expect any help there.

Can't you just shut down everything, then add the router in, power up everything in this order:

modem (wait for it to be fully on and connection running)

router

PC

And shouldn't the router then automatically pick up all the stuff from the modem? I mean IP, gateway, DNS servers.

When I'm troubleshooting, I am often called on to take the router in and out of the sequence, and I don't have to do anything extra each time other than what I've mentioned.

Yes it should. Or it does here with our ISPs. They are not interested in phone calls :) Also their sites have step by step guides and they expect you to read them if any problems occur. All you need to know is the basics of router setup, like how to log in! That is not a sure thing for everybody. I have had one problem. I paid for faster dsl but speed never arrived. So I complained and they send out a tech dude who immediately noticed modem was simply not capable of running faster. New modem and all was fine.

Only way you can go ??? is if router defaults are so wrong it does not work and you don't know how to log in to the thing. If you can't do that you have a problem. Rest is settings.

Most should not care but you could check Linksys site for firmware updates. At least check changelog for relevant bug-fixes. I would flash asap seeing only a minor update :) Also because then I would know flashing works. Once settled down and set up it just sits there.

The "plug n' play" method usually works with routers and cable/dsl modems, but sometimes, especially with DSL, there's more to the configuration, such as setting up PPoE so that the router passes your login info and password to the modem so that the modem's connection is authenticated with your ISP's servers so that you get an IP from their pool (or your static IP if your ISP provides one) and connect to the web.

Thanks for that YoKenny1 -

Most are 1 or 4 outlet modems - I did not know about the 2 wire version -

I have a new 2Wire 2701 modem from my ISP that provided a CD for setup but it tried to install a whole bunch of software I did not want so I canceled the installation.

I called the ISP Help line and a very courteous person walked me through the modem setup in no time at all.

Thank You - :)