Ran Malwarebytes now CD is not working

ahendry

I'm surprised PC Tools Antivirus ran with that rogue on your computer. Anyway, the fact that it said 'Access Denied' means that at least your computer is recognising the CD-ROM, it's just not letting you access it. So we won't try uninstalling/reinstalling it at the moment.

I have attached a file called cd.zip. Please download it and unzip it to your desktop. Then doubleclick on the cd.reg file, click Yes in the box that appears, then click on OK. Then restart your computer and try your CD drive again.

cd.zip

No problem, my friend. I'm glad to help. ;)

It's impossible to tell what actually caused it in the first place. However, I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with MBAM. At a guess, I'd say it was probably the registry cleaner you used. I'm not at all keen on registry cleaners. From what I've seen of them they either do nothing at all or break your computer. Anyway, hopefully your computer will be OK now.

If you think you computer may not be completely free of malware, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here. One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

All the best,

~Mark.

It's actually a fix for a problem where a shared CD-ROM is not accessible to all users. But I have had some computers where the allocatecdroms string has been completely missing from the registry, particularly after the registry had been 'tampered with'. The reg fix just restores that string and gives it the lowest security setting. I was actually quite surprised when the user reported that the CD drive was working again, because that fix alone did not work on the other computers I mentioned. I only tried that first to make sure that the allocatecdroms string was definitely present before I went on to try some other possible fixes. I suppose it's even possible that the user rebooting the computer might have fixed the problem and that my fix was nothing to do with it. I have had situations like that before when things have just stopped working and then started working again for no apparent reason. lol.