win32/patched virus

Ltech

I got the win32/patched virus on my Dell Dimension 8100 running WIN XP

AVG did not prevent the virus from loading on my computer, but a scan found it and said some files were white listed. It instructed me to reboot. When I did, I could not get back to the desktop.

I have two problems.

1. In order to get into safe mode, I need an Admin password which I no longer remember. Can I bypass the Admin password and get into safe mode to try and delete the win32/patched virus on my

2. If and when I do get into safemode how can I remove this and restore my OS?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ltech and welcome to MalwareBytes' forums.

If you can use Normal mode Windows, please do so.

see this topic http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

and do all the preliminary steps.

Then Copy and Paste contents of the latest MBAM log + DDS logs + Gmer log into your next reply.

Don't be anxious to use Safe mode at this time.

Also, if and only if Normal mode is not usable, reboot and restart into "Safe Mode with Networking". and then run the preliminaries.

When starting a reply, please only use the ADDREPLY t_reply.gif button, found at bottom of forum screen.

Have you tried restarting/rebooting system, and at the Advanced Bootup Opetions menu, selecting

Safe Mode with Networking or

Safe mode with Command prompt ?

Do you have a Windows Operating System CD ? That should have come with your Dell system.

N.B. This is closed due to lack of response.