CD Rom not working

nelchel05

Greetings :)

Please give this a try and see if it solves it for you:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

Press Enter twice on your keyboard to insert 2 blank lines at the bottom of the text file

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix.reg (the .reg extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Please do the following so I can get some additional info about your hardware:

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

Thanks for the info ;) . It appears you have an HP computer. I will need the model number in order to find the appropriate chipset drivers for your system. Please check the side of the tower and see if there is a sticker containing a model number and post the model so I can locate the appropriate drivers on HP's website.

Also, in the meantime I'd like to check and make sure that the issue you're having isn't caused by leftover CD burning software components. Please do the following so I may do so:

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.

• Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

If you have any questions or trouble following my instructions please let me know.

Hello again ;)

Please do the following to see if they correct the issues you're having:

For convenience please create a new folder on your desktop called Drivers. We will be using this location to store the latest available drivers for your motherboard so that you can easily find and install them without your desktop getting too cluttered.

Once that's done please download each of the following and save them in the Drivers folder you just created:

Now, open the Drivers folder on your desktop and double-click sp26567.exe to begin the installation. It will check to see if you have the latest version of your BIOS and if it says you do not then please allow it to update it for you. Note: This will require a restart of your PC but only restart when it asks you to do so.

Once you've rebooted if required to do so, open the Drivers folder once more and do the following:

• Right-click on VIA_HyperionPro_V524A.zip and select Extract all and allow it to extract the drivers to their own folder.
  • Once that's complete, open the newly created VIA_HyperionPro_V524A folder and find the file called setup.exe (it will look like a little computer screen) and double click on it to begin the driver installation.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest chipset drivers for your system.
  • Reboot if asked to do so.

After rebooting if it was required, please open the Drivers folder again and do the following:

• Right-click on vraid_driver_v550b.zip and select Extract all and allow it to extract the drivers to their own folder.
  • Once that finishes open the newly created vraid_driver_v550b folder and locate the file called SETUP.exe (it will look like a little computer screen) and double click on it to begin installation.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest IDE\Raid Controller drivers for your system.
  • Reboot if asked to do so.

Once that is complete, please check to see if your CD-Rom drives are now functioning properly and if they are not then please proceed with the following:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Drivers tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• Pfc Padus® ASPI Shell (Not verified) Padus, Inc. c:\windows\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
    • PxHelp20 Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP (Not verified) Sonic Solutions c:\windows\system32\drivers\pxhelp20.sys
    • PzWDM PzWDM.sys (Not verified) Prassi Technology c:\windows\system32\drivers\pzwdm.sys

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer and check to see if your CD-Rom drives are now functional.

Please let me know how it goes and which steps (if any) were able to correct your issues.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Excellent ;)

Well, test it for a while and as long as it's working nothing else needs to be done. Should you have further issues with it then please follow the instructions I've provided and let me know if it fixes it. You may keep the drivers if you've already downloaded them as they may prove useful.

If you need anything else please post.

Thanks ;)

When did the crashing start? It's possible that one of your plugins is causing the issue. Have you made any changes to Firefox recently such as updating any add-ons or plugins or changing any settings? You can use this guide to start Firefox in Safe Mode to attempt to diagnose the cause of the issue which may be related to something as simple as one of your plugins having issues or a changed setting.