Manual database update

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance the MBAM-Rules will be kept up to date? Today's version # is 2307 and the downloaded file installed 2202 on top of the newer one.

Ideally, when I do a service call, I'd like to be able to scan offline with the most recent version. Would I be better off keeping my flash drive synced to the most recent rules.ref off my own computer?

• Root Admin
Any chance the MBAM-Rules will be kept up to date? Today's version # is 2307 and the downloaded file installed 2202 on top of the newer one.

Ideally, when I do a service call, I'd like to be able to scan offline with the most recent version. Would I be better off keeping my flash drive synced to the most recent rules.ref off my own computer?

Yes you would be better off. Due to certificate issues the offline version will always be well behind on version level.

If you are having problems downloading the database via the program, you can now download it as an installer. Visit this link and scroll down to the bottom.

http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Hello. I own my own computer business and I use your program a lot. I recommend it to all my customers. I have a suggestion for you if you want me to continue using this product. You MUST make the most recent rule definitions available for manual download. Often when a computer is infected, your program will not update to get the latest definitions. I don't understand why you don't put the latest definitions in the latest install EXE file and also post them on the web. To me this is just laziness and it makes people work twice as hard to resolve issues like these when you don't have the latest definitions posted. Your manual updates that are posted sometimes don't work and they are several revisions behind. I think you guys are one of the best in the business when it comes to the program itself but this issue needs to be resolved. If you truly want to be the best in the business, then please resolve this issue, as it makes you look bad when you can't even download the latest signature files. Please get this issue resolved! You can contact me at sbaker58@hotmail.com if you have a resolution.

;).

I'll have you guys beta test it once it's done.

A new site? When?

Hello. I own my own computer business and I use your program a lot. I recommend it to all my customers. I have a suggestion for you if you want me to continue using this product. You MUST make the most recent rule definitions available for manual download. Often when a computer is infected, your program will not update to get the latest definitions. I don't understand why you don't put the latest definitions in the latest install EXE file and also post them on the web. To me this is just laziness and it makes people work........... You can contact me at sbaker58@hotmail.com if you have a resolution.

Errr Laziness? They update VERY frequently.

Can't say I wouldn't mind the idea though. I thought they already did... guess not!

Good Luck!

• Root Admin
Hello. I own my own computer business and I use your program a lot. I recommend it to all my customers. I have a suggestion for you if you want me to continue using this product. You MUST make the most recent rule definitions available for manual download. Often when a computer is infected, your program will not update to get the latest definitions. I don't understand why you don't put the latest definitions in the latest install EXE file and also post them on the web. To me this is just laziness and it makes people work twice as hard to resolve issues like these when you don't have the latest definitions posted. Your manual updates that are posted sometimes don't work and they are several revisions behind. I think you guys are one of the best in the business when it comes to the program itself but this issue needs to be resolved. If you truly want to be the best in the business, then please resolve this issue, as it makes you look bad when you can't even download the latest signature files. Please get this issue resolved! You can contact me at sbaker58@hotmail.com if you have a resolution.

Do you have a license to use the product in a commercial environment? If you do, you have access to multiple tools that will help you with this. If you don't, that is illegal.

I do agree. You guys are one of the best in the business. I for one use Superantispyware with your MBAM 1.36 but nowadays I have trouble updating the defintinition files for your 1.37. I didnt have any trouble updating when I was back with 1.36 but it has been a week now and I still havent updated my definition files. It would bea good idea to have a "manual update file in .exe form" just as Superantispyware does. The link posted makes me download what I have already downloaded previously but again the updating gives me an error. I have corrected the firewall settings and still I have this problem. Again, I have experienced this ONLY when I migrated to 1.37. A manual updating option will really boost your product usage especially on offline pc usage.

I for one have relied on manual updates when my internet connection encounters problems and Avira Premium, SASpy have manual updating features so to speak. Please help us on this. I can be reached at voltron0521@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

...A manual updating option will really boost your product usage especially on offline pc usage.

...Thanks.

If you purchase a technician's license ( which is an annually renewable subscription) you can put it on disk or usb key or both, for convenience and then update the rules.ref file from your own copy (doesn't matter whether that one is the free version or not) on your own computer.

I do this and end up with both files with the most current defs. The tech license is not THAT expensive given that the only material restriction I can see is that you can use it on only one computer at any given time and that it must be uninstalled before using it on another computer.

Hi;

Maybe you can post updated definition files as that of the other antivirus programs like Norton/KAV/Avira in your website.

I see nothing wrong with it. For now I copy the rules.ref file from another pc which has mbam and apply it to the offline pc so I think I dont need to purchase a technician's license at that and it's still free. But thanks for the idea, I do am considering it, but then again it wont hurt if again like the other guys such as I've mentioned, maybe you can post it for download.

Thanks,

voltron :)

• Root Admin

You do not need a Technicians License to obtain updates. I have elaborated a little on the subject here

If however you're repairing other systems beyond your own with our product and you don't have a Technicians License then you're violating the EULA and illegally using our program.

As a home user you're allowed to use it on your own computer(s) only.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the free version of the program. When you click "Check for updates" program is linked to the site and download 3 Mb. In the end, she wrote "Databases have been updated. But the release date database does not change. What's happening? This is a program bug or limitation?

поиск

Greetings Slip and welcome <_< .

This situation can sometimes occur due to an error with the update server but gets fixed as soon as a newer database version is released. There is one more situation that can cause this behavior, and that is if you are running Malwarebytes' in a limited user account because it requires administrative privelages to update. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 in a non administrator account you can click on the Start Orb>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and right click on the link for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and select Run as administrator then click Continue at the User Account Control prompt then select the Update tab and click on Check for Updates to see if it works correctly.

Hello,

Quick question on this mbam rules. How do you know that these rules are up to date? I mean when I clicked on one of the given links, it just downloaded a file mbam_rules onto my desktop. However, it did not mention what date these rules are from?

I looked onto the main website but had no luck.

It would have been a really good idea if the rules file is given on to the main website. That will help everyone to download them manually directly from the website rather than looking/searching google for them.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Unfortunately the mbam_rules.exe file isn't updated nearly as often as the actual database so it's usually 5-10 database versions behind. It won't tell you the date, but if you right click the file and select Properties you can check the Digital Signature as well as clicking the Version tab which will show 1.xxxx.0 the xxxx numbers indicate the database version. The one I just downloaded is 2999 but the actual latest database for MBAM at the moment is 3017.

Unfortunately the mbam_rules.exe file isn't updated nearly as often as the actual database so it's usually 5-10 database versions behind. It won't tell you the date, but if you right click the file and select Properties you can check the Digital Signature as well as clicking the Version tab which will show 1.xxxx.0 the xxxx numbers indicate the database version. The one I just downloaded is 2999 but the actual latest database for MBAM at the moment is 3017.

Yes you are right exile360, however, I found another alternative method which has been mentioned here in the forum already.

1: Install and update Malwarebytes on another computer

2: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Rules.ref

3: Replace the ref file in the infected machine.

4: Run the scan :lol:

Regards

Jehanzeb