Windows <system32>hal.dll ERROR

terrencej31

I have Windows XP Home Edition. I installed a second hard drive for my music I create in DigiDesign's Pro Tools. My original hard drive is the C Drive and the new one is assign to T Drive. I did a defrg on the C Drive two days ago the yesterday I did a defrag for the first time on the T Drive. I leave for work and when I return I see a black :unsure:screen that reads: "Windows root\system32\hal.dll" is missing or corrupt, please re-install.

I look on line on how to fix this error and Iit ask me

Showing D:\WINDOWS instead of C:\WINDOWS can happen for several reasons, but it's usually because SATA drives are installed. If you are not confident of the actual location of your Windows installation, before attempting to fix the hal.dll error, you should physically disconnect any other hard drives you have apart from the one that contains the Windows installation you are trying to repair.

I helped someone to fix a similar hal.dll error here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29749

so you may find some useful info in that thread.

If you do try that particular 'fix', please make sure that the XP Setup Disk you are using is the same version AND Service Pack as the operating system you are trying to repair.