Warning in event viewer

Amethyst

Hello,

I don't look at event viewer every day, but I just happened to be taking a quick look tonight before shutting down for the day, and I see this has been showing up under Applications, starting Dec 18th, and only on startup.

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: EventSystem

Event Category: (52)

Event ID: 4356

Date: 12/19/2009

Time: 8:26:57 AM

User: N/A

Computer: [My computer's name]

Description:

The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{58FC39EB-9DBD-4EA7-B7B4-9404CC6ACFAB}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8000401A.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

That microsoft link doesn't say anything, and I'm not finding anything helpful on google, although there are lots of references to it.

I don't have any record of having installed anything that day. I did complete some stuff with setting up IE 8, but I didn't even write down when I did that. I had updated to IE 8 on Nov 29th, but I guess I didn't finish setting it because every time I would open it up, this extra splash screen would come up. So one day last week I finally ran through all the steps to finish the setup. But I don't know what day I did that. Other than that, no changes.

Is this anything to be concerned about? I'm not noticing anything wrong with the computer, but I don't know what this message means and I'm a bit worried about it. That's XP SP2.

It shows up between these to events:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: ThinkVantage Registry Monitor Service

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 12/21/2009

Time: 12:35:49 AM

Computer: [my computer's name]

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ThinkVantage Registry Monitor Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

And this:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: SUService

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 12/21/2009

Time: 12:35:52 AM

Computer:[my computer's name]

Description:

Service started successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I find these little extras irritating, but is there anything more that I need to pay attention to? As I said, I'm not seeing any problems with this system. Well, once in a while the MSE icon doesn't show up in the systray, but that seems to be a separate little niggly thing, not related, and when this happens, the program is still running and a reboot generally puts it right. But now this event warning in event viewer with each startup...

Well, I found this:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4356&eventno=1035&source=EventSystem&phase=1

My particular issue seems to be related to the Dr. Watson debugger.

Is this something I should just ignore then? I don't use Dr. Watson. Or should I try restoring back to a point before this started? That's going back a few days already, so if you experts think that's the route to go, I would like to not wait too much longer for that.

(At least I now know the popular solution of unregistering mobsync.dll is not going to work in my situation.)

OK, one more thing--when I look at the COM services, I see that COM+ system application is not started on my laptop (which is the computer at issue here) but it is started on my desktop PC.

Would there be any harm in starting this up on the laptop and seeing what happens? On the laptop, I did go into the services.msc once a long time ago to disable remote registry, for security reasons. I have not done this on the desktop.

(Just can't leave this alone, have to find out what's going on here! :) :) I really should back away from the computers and go bake some more shortbread cookies! )

The first one seems to be related to Offline Files, a service you can actually disable if you have no use for it.

The second event has to do with a software component of your Lenovo software which is designed to monitor the registry keys of certain components and drivers such as a fingerprint reader and certain other components, this event shouldn't be anything major and can safely be ignored.

The third isn't an error at all and is simply informing you that the service was started successfully :) .

And finally, since all of these events come up at the same time it's possible that they are connected, likely through your Lenovo software, but again, as long as your hardware and software is working properly I wouldn't worry about it too much.

HiAmethyst -

For a start, I think you may need to update to XP SP3 based on what I read - It is hard to get all the updates and fixes without being current -

It is free at all the usual places - I got mine here http://www.nicklockard.com - He is a Hon Mem here and I have known him for almost 2 years -

Left of page below all his advertising > Click on About Company >Downloads > Scroll to Find XP Series Pack3 (All free D/loads) - Also has many other clean links includung (same place if you look) to I.E. 8

Thanks, Exile and noknojon. :P

This thing is a change, and I was wondering (and worrying) why it came up all of a sudden like that.

I had been spending a lot of time in the past week doing troubleshooting with my internet connection and various ISP techs, though, and I was using the laptop connected directly to the modem at times, maybe this affected networking in some way. I really don't know. Anyway, since I'm not seeing anything untoward in the computer's behavior, maybe it is nothing to worry about.

It is allright for the COM+System Application to not be running? I don't know if it was always that way or not, I've never deliberately changed it. When I check the services list, it isn't disabled, but there is an option to start it. When I check properties, there is nothing listed in dependencies. It depends on the RPC, but there isn't anything listed depending on COM+ System Application. (I really don't know what I'm doing here, I know just enough to get into things and cause trouble! :) ) Probably OK to leave it as is?

Yes, I know I should get XP SP3. Another time...after the holidays. (That's my excuse for THIS month! LOL!)

My COM+ System service is set to Manual and never seems to run either and I've never messed with it so it's likely only started when a program or Windows needs it to run. However, do make sure that COM+ Event System is set to Automatic and that it is running.

As for SP3, we've discussed this before, I'm not going near that dead horse :P .

HiAmethyst -

For a start, I think you may need to update to XP SP3 based on what I read - It is hard to get all the updates and fixes without being current -

It is free at all the usual places - I got mine here http://www.nicklockard.com - He is a Hon Mem here and I have known him for almost 2 years -

Left of page below all his advertising > Click on About Company >Downloads > Scroll to Find XP Series Pack3 (All free D/loads) - Also has many other clean links includung (same place if you look) to I.E. 8

I would REALLY recommend only downloading Microsoft patches and software directly from Microsoft or from Windows Update or Microsoft Update, while the site you linked to may indeed be safe, there is no reason to download (quite illegally I might add, just check the EULA on MS operating systems which also applies to service packs and patches :P ) Microsoft patches from third party websites that may or may not be secure or as secure as microsoft.com.

My COM+ System service is set to Manual and never seems to run either and I've never messed with it so it's likely only started when a program or Windows needs it to run. However, do make sure that COM+ Event System is set to Automatic and that it is running.

As for SP3, we've discussed this before, I'm not going near that dead horse :) .

OK, thanks so much. I see on both my computers, the COM+ System is running but set to Manual. Must have been set that way by default because I've never done anything to that. Aha! I see the default is manual for XP and automatic for Vista and 7.

Yeah...SP3...hehe! I'll have to get to it pretty soon. And my son will need the SP on his Vista 64 bit. Lotsa big changes coming up. After the holidays. Gonna kick back and enjoy for now, try to stay out of trouble with the techie stuff. :P

A Microsoft person is suggesting I flush my restore points, so when I have a chance to do some serious sit down time with the laptop, I'll give that a go. (Man, I hate to do that, though. I'm pretty attached to my restore points! But I'll check everything over and make sure everything works, then flush 'em, make sure everything works again, create another restore point, and reboot, see if that does it.)

Hey, Merry Christmas, everyone!

Well, I'm such a fraidy cat, so today I cleaned out all but the most recent restore point rather than flush the whole works. This event warning had disappeared for one bootup the other day, but it promptly came back the next time and it's still hanging around. I think I'll give up, it doesn't seem to be doing any harm that I can see. These things do force me to learn more about my computers, though (and you folks here are a tremendous help with that!), and that's never a bad thing.

As for SP3, we've discussed this before, I'm not going near that dead horse :) .

Hehe, well...I did update IE on the desktop to IE8 today, after seeing it work flawlessly on the 2 laptops in the house. Hey, it's progress, I'm getting there with the big scary MS updates. ;) My son has his new backup hard drive, so I told him any time he wants to run a backup, I would show him how to do that and then he could update his Vista SP and then the SP3's are next on mine...

I've been tangling with my ISP for the first 3 weeks of December re some speed and service issues and that pretty much had me burned out re technical matters. But the ISP thing DID get fixed, which is a relief. (The speed and service issues did kinda need to get fixed before trying the big scary MS updates anyway. :rolleyes:)

Hehe, I'd install SP3 before IE8, I HATE IE8 :) . I still use 7 since it's just as secure as 8, at least for the moment. Should that change someday I might consider upgrading to 8, but until then...nah.

AdvancedSetup keeps trying me to go to I.E. 8 - It seems to be one thing we agree on :) - I am happy with 7 for now and 8 never seens to 'work' properly ??

I think the link I left also ends up going via M/soft and I don't have any prob's with him - He actually set me up with MBAM and here -

It is free at all the usual places
Re SP 3 location - I added this to get you to make another call if you wanted - :)

:)

I'm pretty attached to my restore points!

I remove them about once a month and start again after my next install of 'anything' - Most times it sets one its self each day or two -

Why I like IE8:

Accelerators

Increased performance

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/faster.aspx

Stay Safer Online

Domain highlighting

Click-jacking prevention

Automatic crash recovery

Tab isolation

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/safer.aspx

Enhanced tabbed browsing

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/easier.aspx