Incremental updates

greyowl

I have dialup internet so it takes about 12-15 minutes to do the daily MBAM update which is now about 3.4mb. I also use Avira Security Suite which has a daily update of only about 500kb which takes a couple of minutes because they have incremental updates.

I read on another thread that MBAM will likely be going to incremental updates in the future. This would be very helpful.

I am wondering how soon we can expect incremental updating.

• Staff
I have dialup internet so it takes about 12-15 minutes to do the daily MBAM update which is now about 3.4mb. I also use Avira Security Suite which has a daily update of only about 500kb which takes a couple of minutes because they have incremental updates.

I read on another thread that MBAM will likely be going to incremental updates in the future. This would be very helpful.

I am wondering how soon we can expect incremental updating.

I don't recall this being said, in what thread did you read that?

@ sunshine803 and all dialup users -

Have you checked if your ISP has some type of dialup accelerator - Many do -

I had one person last week who found a free 'sample' of one of these programs - It is linked below -

Best of luck with it - :D

The program is called Auslogics SpeedBoost - Check around in there and there is a 15 day free trial -

Although I have not used this one I did use their Defragger for a while (reasonable) -

This is the link to it - http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-BoostSp...4-10358299.html

Good luck, hope it helps - :)

Hi again - It's that pest from down under -

The other person I mentioned was never able to keep updating due to a dropout in his dialup after 10 mins or so - (15 mins to update) -

It was not major but was enough to cancell the D/load - This has been a problem now that MBAM is so large (I know on B/band it only takes 20 seconds) but for those on dialup any split second break in their link was always causing a 732 type error to show up -

Most of us have access to B/band, but when I located the person I was helping, there was no way he could get it for at least 6-12 months -

His line was a 3rd party via another old sysyem that was just being rebuilt now - He was almost on the end of it -

Any of our staff that can find the best dialup Booster should list it here, so it can get out as soon as it can -

I have had my little rant, so now it is up to those who can to put the best one up ASAP -

Thank You :D

No dial-up booster/accelerator, no matter if free or paid will help. They all work the same way - you install a client program that filters out all http requests and redirects them to a remote proxy, that then loads the requested data, compresses it/lowers resolution of images/filters out some content, then it sends it back to the client software on your computer that just decompresses it and hands it over to the program that requested it. The problem with the MBAM definition file is, that it is impossible to compress it. In fact, if you try to compress it, the compressed version will be even bigger. As for the registry tweakers, that change TCP settings in Windows, they are useless too. They can help when using a broadband connection with XP or older (default settings aren't exactly optimal, they fixed this in Vista and Win 7 as it now uses auto-tuning and selects best settings by itself), but with dial-up you won't notice any difference.

Hi khagaroth -

Very interested in that - I wonder why the person I was helping (with Dialup) came back the very next day and said that he could now update , since he had spent many hours attempting to do this prior to installing the software ?? Since then he has let me know that things are a lot better -

He did reside in a very remote area and Dialup was all that was available -

Thanks for that - :)

His post is here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=171700

and this one shows how far behind he was in updates until he installed the Booster -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=170884

Since then he PM'd me to say it was much better now and he was up to date still 3 days later ?? -

Thanks for your information - :P