Question about NoScript

DCross

Sorry if this is a bit of a brainless question, but does NoScript offer many benefits over justdisabling Javascript in the Firefox internet options menu? When I turn off Javascript it seems to prevent any Flash, Silverlight et al features from loading, so I just assumed they all needed Javascript enabled to run. Is NoScript more complete in its blocking of these things or just more convenient?

Also, I am currently running a combination of Avast Antivirus (free version), Comodo Firewall with Defence+ (free version), Malwarebytes (full version) and Windows Defender. Is this enough in terms of security for a computer that's used for daily online browsing and semi-frequent Paypal transactions? I don't use any filesharing/p2p applications and try to be as careful as I can about which sites I visit, but there have been occasions when I've inadvertently ended up on some infectious looking webpages; and the seemingly ever increasing nastiness of malware does make one a bit paranoid.

NoScript is a browser extension which helps to display only JavaScript, Java, Flash, etc based on your choice. It is default deny, meaning that it automatically disables scripts, so you can whitelist them. It is one of the best browser extensions and highly recommended. Now, if you are a paranoid user, or think that you can function without Javascript, then disabling JavaScript is your choice.

I recommend to see the video "Using NoScript with Firefox (YouTube)".

The best advantage of using NoScript, is blocking "malvertisements" - which are advertisements on websites that are crafted by malware writers to code them in a way to do a drive-by download and install of malware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The FBI has recently reported on this issue, and warns users about scareware and malvertisements.

The latest issue with malvertisements, was an incident with the New York Times website. It did not cause major issues, but it did distribute an incriminating rogue antivirus, called Personal Antivirus. The rogue antivirus software can leave bad marks on your system and cause major issues, if they are not dealt with quickly. Not only do they post fake alerts, they beg you to buy the upgrade version of their program to rob you, and potentially steal your identity.

If you had to ask me to choose one, go with NoScript.

Thanks DragonMaster Jay. I hadn't realised that NoScript could be used to block certain scripts from running on a page whilst allowing others (was previously impression was that it was an all or nothing thing where you either blocked or allowed everything for a particular site). I had been browsing with Javascript switched off and just switching it back on when I was on certain sites; but this is much better.