Anyone Know PCPitstop???

deebeee

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend suggested I run PCPitstop to check how my computer is doing (not so great actually, still slow). I ran it and it came up with a bunch of things. Anyone have experience running this? Would like to discuss the results if possible and how to SAFELY fix them.

I have noted a reference to PC Pitstop in a blog I think was from mikiemoes (expert here) or similar named person - :D

It said to give it a run while helping to clean/run a bit faster - There was no bad references to it there -

I will test it and see if it does anything for me - :(

EXTRA - EDIT-

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html

This is the link I used - It is a product that will free scan and put up some ~ helpful ideas -

There is a product to sell if you want it but there was also the free section that I used -

It seemed not too intrusive and gave 1or 2 hints for fixes if you wanted to follow up by yourself -

Final result - It did diagnose and found the things I know I need to look at already - If you want a free scan/check it seems not to hurt - :D

...you can also just use Firefox Portable and keep it on a flash drive so that you can use it on any computer without having to install it and it will allow you to carry your settings and favorites around as well.

I didn't know that portable version existed. I might try it as well; just thinking about how much registry additions / changes it'll make.

Thanks for the link to it, Exile.

I didn't know that portable version existed. I might try it as well; just thinking about how much registry additions / changes it'll make.

Thanks for the link to it, Exile.

As I know it, it leaves the registry as is. I think it may transfer and back up to/from the registry, but it leaves nothing behind there.

I actually use it, and others, like thunderbird, installed as my main program on my pc. Great idea, when you want rid of it, just delete the folder it is in ^_^

A portable app doesn't leave registry entries behind except those automatically generated by Windows

Source: http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app

PCPitStop looks like one of the adverts I used to see on TV a while ago...I was skeptical then and still am now...

@ spg SCOTT -

As I noted it will do a basic check and show a few basic things that need maintaining , that I already knew about -

But there is a product for sale (very cheap) that claims to do similar things on a regular basis for you (eg Defrag,Remove temp files etc.)

It gives advice to check drivers (claims to do it auto with paid version) -

Etc - Etc - Etc - A free scan is OK but I would not bother to pay for it - ( BASICS ) -

Have a nice day - ;)

Hi Exile,

On 12/9 you suggested the following which of course I am having big problems with (aaargh):

You might also take a look at the information here and here for some steps you can take to improve your system's performance.

The biggest factor is almost always ram though, and if you're running XP I always recommend at least 512Mb and 1-2Gb if you can afford it. For Vista I recommend at least 2Gb, 3Gb or more if you can afford it and for Windows 7 I recommend 1Gb, 2Gb or more if you can afford it.

Problems:

1) When I went into "My computer" -- I don't have an icon listed as "C Drive", but only one listed as "Disk Cleanup (C:)

2) I checked my RAM and I have 256MB of RAM.

3) I could not for the life of me follow any of the instructions on the first "here" you listed.

* Clean Cache and Cookies in IE:

Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab

Under Browsing History, click "Delete". This should open a new Window.

Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"

Got up to General tab, but there is no "Browsing History" -- no such listing, assumed they meant "History" Under "History" there is no "delete files" choice." Just a "Clear History" box. I clicked on that, but not sure I'm in the right place at all. When I clicked on "clear history" no new Window appeared, so I'm totally lost.

Got as lost trying to do version for those of us with Foxfire. HELP. Nothing seems to be as they say it is. Could not access "tools" etc. Trying to fix computer AGAIN as I can no longer see videos from friends (this happened before we did the restore, but I don't think restore should have be done so soon -- ??)

Thanks.

Hi deebee -

I understand you are running a version of XP - To follow exile360s instructions > Control Panel > Internet options > General tab > It will be the one that is often already open, it may depend on your version of I.E. - Your top item should be your Home page(s) - The first item Below that is Browsing history - It has a circle with a Quarter of a Green Arrow pointing Backwards - The item just to the right and below that circle (the one with the Green Arrow) should say Delete - The item next to that says Settings -

Ignore the Settings tab for now - This First item is where exile360 is refering -

Hi deebee -

I understand you are running a version of XP - To follow exile360s instructions > Control Panel > Internet options > General tab > Your top item should be your Home page(s) - The first item below that is Browsing history - It has a circle with a Quarter of a Green Arrow pointing Backwards - The item to the right and below that circle (with the Green Arrow) should say Delete / The item next to that says Settings

Ignore the Settings tab for now - This First item is where exile360 is refering -

Unfortunately, nope, there is NO Browsing History at all.

Below Home Page is Temporary Internet Files

Below that is History. And that's it - just those three on the General tab page.

No circle with 1/4 of a green arrow.

I'm stumped. Thanks for trying.

You must either have a very old computer or a non Microsoft version -??

Use the dropdown menu at TOOLS on the top line under the address bar -

No, I do not have a "very old computer" (it's 4 y.o. and a Dell). It is NOT a non Microsoft version as I have Microsoft IE, Microsoft Works, etc.

I DID use the drop down menu at Tools on the top line, etc., on IE. And what I told you is what I got. Oh I give up. Maybe Exile has some ideas or Advanced Setup -- don't waste more of your time as I don't have whatever should be there.

Found it -- I have IE 6.0.2900.

That's IE6

IE8 is available and much better and safer.

Running XP with only 256MB RAM is not good and RAM is very cheap now and very easy to install.

Go to crucial.com and download its diagnostic to show you what RAM is needed:

http://www.crucial.com

That's IE6

Running XP with only 256MB RAM is not good and RAM is very cheap now and very easy to install.

Hi,

OK will upgrade to IE 8.

Is RAM a new hard drive? As I know zero about hardware.

I'll check the link.

Thanks

Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > System information > Tools(at top) > DirectX Diagnostic tools > 3rd item down will show your XP [/u]home edition - Bottom item should show (at least) DirectX 9.0 - Only if you want to look at it - Or you can wait for Exile (etc) -

Just a quick help -

Start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > System information > Tools(at top) > DirectX Diagnostic tools > 3rd item down will show your XP [/u]home edition - Bottom item should show (at least) DirectX 9.0 - Only if you want to look at it - Or you can wait for Exile (etc) -

Just a quick help -

I got the DirectX diagnostic tool and everything tested OK, last page was something re accessing Microsoft troubleshooter page, but did not seem to go through.

So I guess everything is OK except for the amount of RAM I have and updating to IE8. Thanks

That's IE6

I started this, but will have to stop and go back to it. All those "tech" type pages are a bit confusing to me. Talk to you later and thanks. One question I wonder if my computer will tolerate more RAM? Oh well, we'll see.

Hi,

OK will upgrade to IE 8.

Is RAM a new hard drive? As I know zero about hardware.

I'll check the link.

Thanks

Random-access memory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

The crucial.com site will show you what RAM it needs.

How RAM Works

http://www.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm