deebeee

Anyone Know PCPitstop???

A friend suggested I run PCPitstop to check how my computer is doing (not so great actually, still slow). I ran it and it came up with a bunch of things. Anyone have experience running this? Would like to discuss the results if possible and how to SAFELY fix them.

Thanks ;)

Hi deebeee -

The site seems a bit 'scammy' :( - It looks like another one of those "We will check .. But we will charge to do full fixes" typr of sites -

PC Tools used the same system (quick look /Pay us to fix) - :(

I would use Add/Remove to take it out now -

Thanks -- I'm going to hold off on removing til I speak with my friend. BUT I agree, all these sites are great at FINDING problems, but then charge for the fix. Business I guess.

I did copy down all they seemed to have found, so if anyone wants to see what they found, just holler.

Such optimization and fix-it tools seldom deliver on the promises of better performance that they make. Using a utility like Sysinternals Autoruns under the guidance of a knowlegable tech is much more effective for improving system performance.

You might also take a look at the information here and here for some steps you can take to improve your system's performance.

The biggest factor is almost always ram though, and if you're running XP I always recommend at least 512Mb and 1-2Gb if you can afford it. For Vista I recommend at least 2Gb, 3Gb or more if you can afford it and for Windows 7 I recommend 1Gb, 2Gb or more if you can afford it.

Thanks Exile,

I'm going to post some stuff they found and see what you think. One good thing was I got all the info on my system from them in ENGLISH. Will post some of that here too.

NOW (yes, drat, more stuff), I can't copy from a web site if I want to copy info there. I get this stupid popup saying "with your system/computer you can't copy that must text at once." Totally whacked as I was copying one little paragraph, happens all the time. aaaaaargh. The gift that keeps on taking. :(

What's the exact error message it's giving you? I have never heard of such an error when copying text before. Also, what browser are you using (IE, FireFox, Opera etc) when this happens?

What's the exact error message it's giving you? I have never heard of such an error when copying text before. Also, what browser are you using (IE, FireFox, Opera etc) when this happens?

The exact annoying, frustrating message is:

Microsoft Works

The info you copied exceeds the size limit for pasting into the Word Processor. Try reducing the size of your selection and then copy and paste again.

I even tried copying and pasting ONE word and got the same message. I don't understand. Very annoying, along iwth the mouse I am trying to get rid of in my apartment. eeeeks. Talk about pestilence, famine and plague!

I'm using a mouse repellent but it takes awhile. My heart just jumps out of my chest when this mouse appears nightly in my living room -- trying to avoid killing it. If the liquid repellent doesn't work, it will be a nice dish of POISON.

I'm a total wreck.

Hi,

Browser I use is AOL. I have this feeling Microsoft is trying to sabotage AOL so we all have to use that cruddy Internet Explorer.

Sigh. :(

Sorry for the scattered responses -- I pulled up Internet Explorer and tried to do same thing (copy text from a web site) - got the exact same message re it being too much info for the Word Processor.

I'm stumped. What a drag. :(

I tried an experiment -- I used Word Pad and WAS able to copy text from a site. Then I copied the text from Word Pad to a document and that worked. I can't figure out what the heck is going on -- or how to fix it -- I'll have to be either double copying or using Word Pad (which is not so hot).

Why would copying/pasting text from a site onto a MS Works Document be different than copying same onto Word Pad???? :(

OK, nightie. :(

Looks like it is an issue specific to Microsoft Works and MS has no fix for it :( . You'll just have to use a different word processor (such as MS Word or Wordpad). The MS Knowledgebase article on the error can be found here.

Hi.

When you say I would have to use a different word processor, you mean I'd have to BUY a new software sytem I guess. ??? No can do. Sigh.

I did read the article -- some help right. :(

I have no idea if I have MS Works 8 or earlier? Can't seem to find the description. I know the product ID #, but not the title of the particular software.

Well I guess I'll just paste into MS Word Pad and then transfer to MS Works document -- glad I thought of trying that.

Thanks very much for trying to help. :(

Because for the most part Wordpad on XP is a trimmed down version of the old Microsoft Word 6.0 (seemingly) which probably does not have this limitation.

Hi AdvancedSetup

So no way I can correct this I guess. :( Any place to get free MS Word software. Yeah, dream on right?

Thanks ;)

Hello Ron,

Just wondering, are Word and Open Office compatible?

And probably a dumb question, but is Open Office safe and such? :)

I don't' have Word, and I'd like something for word processing (I don't even have a printer at home though, lol, at least not one that's hooked up -ours was last hooked up to Windows 98 so who knows if its compatible). Right now I get by with Word Pad for saving text and stuff, but I would like something like Word. I think I've already used up my welcome with the free trials that Microsoft offers for Word :(

We do have a Word Perfect CD though. I screwed up the installation of that with a PCTools registry cleaner ;) (before I came here) and I haven't re-installed it yet.

Edit: If it does work with Word, this might be perfect for a friend of mine who was looking for Word but can't really afford it, I think she's on a trial right now.

Open Office is compatible with the .doc file format used by Microsoft Word ;) . I believe it also has more features than Microsoft Works.

Open Office sounds great -- thanks all of you! ;)

Now if only I can get gently rid of the mouse in my apartment -- :(

Have a good one --

Open Office 3.1.1 can even open the new Microsoft Word 2007 file format .docx

Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is required for the Base (database) component, for wizards as well as several other features.

Also don't forget to look at the list of plugins. One very popular one is:

Sun PDF Import Extension

The PDF Import Extension allows you to import and modify PDF documents.

There is also quite a bit of documentation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ

Now if only I can get gently rid of the mouse in my apartment -- :(

Unfortunately it can be hard for most users to operate a computer without a mouse :( .

Oh you are SOOOOO funny -- in fact, if I had your address, I'd send you a nice little present :(

Hehe, sorry. I couldn't help myself ;) . If that package is what I think it is then it sounds like you got rid of that mouse already :D .

If only it were that easy, huh ;) Nope mice still here but getting this product called Homeless Mouse (used it before, but did not follow the instxs re repeat apps). So hopefully very soon the mice will be on to someplace else.

I posted this question as a new topic, but I'll just ask you anyway -- do you think there is any problem in installing Firefox as a browser along with the ones I have (Explorer and AOL)??? I need to install Firefox to access a program on Etsy.

??? :D

Nope, none at all :D . It is a totally separate application and will have no effect on either IE or AOL ;) .

If you'd like, you can also just use Firefox Portable and keep it on a flash drive so that you can use it on any computer without having to install it and it will allow you to carry your settings and favorites around as well :( .