Kbrd won't respond after switching thru KVM

hughmunbeane

I have some problems I'm hoping someone might know the solutions to.

After switching from one comp to another, then back to this particular one the keyboard stops working, but not between the 3rd and the second. Comp one kbrd will only work after reboot. I've tried everything I can think of, but haven't been able to solve this.

Here is the info requested:

Compaq Presario 061

Board: MSI AMETHYST-M 1.0

Thanks

No, It's a Compaq Presario and the keyboard is a M$soft Internet pro ps2, altho it's not named in device manager, but "generic compaq kbrd".

can I fix this by re-installing the drivers?

Like I say, It's working between the other two, no prob. But switched back to this one is a no-go until reboot. :)

Hugh

It sounds like it's having issues with hot-plugging devices into the PS2 port for some reason. Are both the mouse and keyboard connected to the PS2 ports of the PC (through the KVM switch), or is the mouse connected via USB? We had a similar problem at a tech shop I worked at on several occasions and the only consistent solution we found was to switch to USB based KVM's as some systems just didn't like switching with PS2 based devices and would exibit the same behavior you describe (having to reboot).

You might also try playing with the power settings for the keyboard/mouse in the device manager as that might have something to do with it, although I doubt it as generally only NIC's and USB hubs have varied power settings as I recall.

It sounds like it's having issues with hot-plugging devices into the PS2 port for some reason. Are both the mouse and keyboard connected to the PS2 ports of the PC (through the KVM switch), or is the mouse connected via USB? We had a similar problem at a tech shop I worked at on several occasions and the only consistent solution we found was to switch to USB based KVM's as some systems just didn't like switching with PS2 based devices and would exibit the same behavior you describe (having to reboot).

You might also try playing with the power settings for the keyboard/mouse in the device manager as that might have something to do with it, although I doubt it as generally only NIC's and USB hubs have varied power settings as I recall.

Altho it was working fine a coupla weeks ago and I can't figure what knocked out the settings and the other two work back and forth just fine.

USB KVM is not an option at this point.

Yes, both the mouse (thru a usb adapter) and keyboard are thru the KVM and into PS2 ports on tower.

Mouse works on switchback, only keyboard does not. Rough to have to reboot every time I switch back, might as well provide a keyboard and reserve the KVM for monitor and mouse, if solution not found.

Didn't know hot-plugging PS2 was a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You're welcome ;) . I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Once we started having this problem we had to switch KVM's to solve it as I said, using dedicated keyboards would be the other solution (as you indicated), which unfortunately partially defeats the purpose of using a KVM, not to mention the additional cost of all the extra keyboards <_< .

You might try one additional step, which I briefly touched on previously, to see if it helps. I'll give you more detail now and hopefully it will help:

• Start the computer having the issues with the KVM already switched to it so it is detected or reboot the computer so it is detected
  • Click on Start and right-click on My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Device Manager on the left
  • Click the + next to Keyboards
  • Right-click on the keyboard in the list and select Properties
  • Click on the Power Management tab
  • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. and check the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer.
  • Click on OK and close the Device Manager
  • Recreate the circumstances that had previously caused to problem to see if it is now resolved

Please let me know how it goes.

You're welcome :D . I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Once we started having this problem we had to switch KVM's to solve it as I said, using dedicated keyboards would be the other solution (as you indicated), which unfortunately partially defeats the purpose of using a KVM, not to mention the additional cost of all the extra keyboards <_< .

You might try one additional step, which I briefly touched on previously, to see if it helps. I'll give you more detail now and hopefully it will help:

• Start the computer having the issues with the KVM already switched to it so it is detected or reboot the computer so it is detected
  • Click on Start and right-click on My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Device Manager on the left
  • Click the + next to Keyboards
  • Right-click on the keyboard in the list and select Properties
  • Click on the Power Management tab
  • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. and check the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer.
  • Click on OK and close the Device Manager
  • Recreate the circumstances that had previously caused to problem to see if it is now resolved

Please let me know how it goes.

I don't have the power management tab on this XP device manager ;) !!

That's ok, usually this setting is only available for USB based keyboards and mice, but I took a shot thinking it might be present for your PS2 based devices hoping it would resolve the problem. It's quite normal for it not to be there but it was worth a shot.

Thanks again, exile!

I'll gimp around some til I can resolve this, if indeed it is resolveable.