Infected with a virus (Duh)

Essentially, the computer that I'm on got a virus. As soon as I found out, I started a Symantec Endpoint Scan. However, it finished not to long ago, and yet there are still problems. So I went and downloaded, and then installed, MalwareBytes after hearing good things. I start a scan on that, a couple of seconds later, it shuts down and I can't access the program again. So I tried to get HijackThis just so I could post a log, but the same thing happened. Every 5 minutes or so, the following pop-up appears:

Attention! System detected a potential hazard (TrojanSPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable files. You private information and PC Safety is at risk. To get rid of unwanted spyware and keep your computer safe you need update your current security software. Click OK to download official intrusion detection system (IDS software)

I copied that word for word. And judging by the excellent grammar and spelling demonstrated, a few flags were raised. There is also a little red circle in the bottom left corner with a white X in it.

Help, please.

• 4 weeks later...