Why is RTProtectionDaemon consuming 15% or more of CPU on MacBook Air M1

Hello, 

I am new to Malwarebytes for my new work computer. I've noticed that RTProtectionDaemon is regularly consuming 15% or more on my CPU. In fact, as we speak its at 34%. I regularly restart my computer. Is this normal or is there more I should be exploring? Can I remove RTProtectionDaemon without any issues? 

Thank you, 

A Concerned New User Looking for More Speed on my MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Have you manually checked for updates? Malwarebytes menu -> Check for updates

Well the odd thing is, I don't have a menu option for Malwarebytes Menu to check for updates. I think I just have an Endpoint Agent installed? Do I need something else? 

1 minute ago, CidiLabsBrad said:

I think I just have an Endpoint Agent installed? Do I need something else? 

Do you personally manage the Malwarebytes software or was it put on there by your employer?

Just now, CidiLabsBrad said:

I asked him about it and he asked me to message support.

You as an end user do not have any control of the software by design. The employer has to make the contact directly to business support.

Here is the info for them to contact business support.

https://support.threatdown.com/hc/en-us/p/nebula_support

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do you personally manage the Malwarebytes software or was it put on there by your employer?

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You as an end user do not have any control of the software by design. The employer has to make the contact directly to business support.

Here is the info for them to contact business support.

https://support.threatdown.com/hc/en-us/p/nebula_support

Okay, thank you for your quick reply and help. Hopefully, they can contact support and get the help we need to resolve this issue. 

Hello @CidiLabsBrad:

As you may have already gleaned from its name, the MBAM RTProtectionDaemon is a macOS background protection process that monitors all macOS data transfers for malware detection. The daemon works in concert with Apple's other macOS real-time protection schemes.

HTH

7 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @CidiLabsBrad:

As you may have already gleaned from its name, the MBAM RTProtectionDaemon is a macOS background protection process that monitors all macOS data transfers for malware detection. The daemon works in concert with Apple's other macOS real-time protection schemes.

HTH

Thanks HTH, yes I get that but just worried when its comsuming 15% and even up to 50% CPU, seems like its doing more harm than good. Perhaps its out of date or something. I am trying to get my IT guy to contact MalwareBytes to figure out why I am seeing such high CPU usage. 

Hello @CidiLabsBrad:

The CPU load you see for the RTProtectionDaemon PID seems quite normal. You may be failing to account for the WindowServer and kernel_task processes, which are always busy and whose data transfers are monitored by MB5's RTProtectionDaemon. Stopping the RTProtectionDaemon process is the same as having no Malwarebytes real-time protection.

In particular, macOS needs to run several assorted tasks just after a startup/restart. What is the reason you frequently need to restart the MBA? Is the MBA under resourced for the work you do?

I am @1PW.

HTH

Edited by 1PW

4 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @CidiLabsBrad:

The CPU load you see for the RTProtectionDaemon PID seems quite normal. You may be failing to account for the WindowServer and kernel_task processes, which are always busy and whose data transfers are monitored by MB5's RTProtectionDaemon. Stopping the RTProtectionDaemon process is the same as having no Malwarebytes real-time protection.

In particular, macOS needs to run several assorted tasks just after a startup/restart. What is the reason you frequently need to restart the MBA? Is the MBA under resourced for the work you do?

I am @1PW.

HTH

Good answer. Its possible my MacOS is under resourced for my work. However, I work in sales and mostly am on Google Chrome and Zoom like all day. I heard I have lots files on the computer which my Tech IT said might be causing it to run slowly. 

• Staff
On 6/7/2024 at 8:21 AM, CidiLabsBrad said:

just worried when its comsuming 15% and even up to 50% CPU, seems like its doing more harm than good.

Probably not. Many processes normally can consume that much or more, and RTProtectionDaemon is typically between 5-20% for me, with occasional higher spikes. If you're having performance problems, it's important to do some troubleshooting. What processes are at the very top of the list in Activity Monitor? How much RAM does your computer have, and what are some of the highest memory-consuming items using? How many tabs do you have open in your web browser, and does it help to close some? (The vast majority of high RAM-usage processes on my computer are tabs in Safari, many of those topping out around 0.5-3.5GB).

Number of files on your hard drive really doesn't have any impact on performance, unless your hard drive is almost full. In that case, you can start to have problems, not because of Malwarebytes, but because of the system being unable to page inactive memory to disk. That can cause problems with many different processes, and the fix is to delete some files.

One thing your admin can do is change the setting for maximum allocation of CPU. (This is a Mac-specific setting.) As you can see from this setting on my own Malwarebytes account, I've set it to only allow a maximum of 25% usage. It can still spike higher than that very briefly before RTProtectionDaemon gets throttled back, but most of the time it should stay below 25%.

As 1PW mentioned, though, if the CPU usage were 0 and never went any higher, that would mean it's doing nothing to protect you.

image.thumb.png.a77426748381da71dc375d88bf466efc.png

• Thanks 1