Jump to content

Is removing a file detected from quarantine sufficient ?


Recommended Posts

Recently I've founded some possible infections on my PC after I've done a websearch searching for infos/support,I've founded websites that explain a list of steps to do for completely deleting the malware traces,now my question above,is that all have I to do or is a better check-up necessary ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eno-Scott

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system.

 

Disable-Fast-Startup
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

Then please restart the computer and then do the following.

WARNING: Do Not click the Repair option under Advanced unless requested by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool. The tool also downloads and runs a file called FRSTEnglish. Please allow it to run.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine 
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Desktop or on the hidden Public desktop (usually C:\Users\Public\Desktop), please upload that file on your next reply


image.png.79d4442a821713608fa60808a98c2e69.png 

image.png.98d86a6c3017d2bbba48877ea4f6ba45.png

Thank you

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2024 at 2:59 AM, Porthos said:

@Eno-Scott

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system.

 

Disable-Fast-Startup
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

Then please restart the computer and then do the following.

WARNING: Do Not click the Repair option under Advanced unless requested by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool. The tool also downloads and runs a file called FRSTEnglish. Please allow it to run.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine 
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Desktop or on the hidden Public desktop (usually C:\Users\Public\Desktop), please upload that file on your next reply


image.png.79d4442a821713608fa60808a98c2e69.png 

image.png.98d86a6c3017d2bbba48877ea4f6ba45.png

Thank you

Here's the file,now have I to delete the tool?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hello @Eno-Scott

 

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system. Please read the entire post below before starting so that you're more familiar with the process

Then follow each step in the order provided. Unless otherwise asked, please attach all logs

 

Please make the following system changes:

  • If you have not done so already - Enable System Protection and create a NEW System Restore Point
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first only if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the downloads are completed
  • Disable-Fast-Startup
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

Please run the following scans:

  1. Click the following link and run a  Scan with AdwCleaner
  2. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Malwarebytes 
       RESTART the computer
  3. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 
     

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

 

Thank you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2024 at 9:01 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Eno-Scott

 

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system. Please read the entire post below before starting so that you're more familiar with the process

Then follow each step in the order provided. Unless otherwise asked, please attach all logs

 

Please make the following system changes:

  • If you have not done so already - Enable System Protection and create a NEW System Restore Point
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first only if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the downloads are completed
  • Disable-Fast-Startup
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

Please run the following scans:

  1. Click the following link and run a  Scan with AdwCleaner
  2. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Malwarebytes 
       RESTART the computer
  3. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 
     

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

 

Thank you

 

So I've not to temporary disable my actual antivirus software realtime protection during the scans using these tools ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@AdvancedSetup  infact I've a topic opened about that in Bitdefender Community and the general advices about running a scan with Mbam (and I suppose that this could fit also for the other tools related) that I got was to teporary stop real-time protection of BD before running Mbam Free to prevent possible conflicts,which is your suggestions about ?

(I could also provide the link for that if that is ok )

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No, if you wish to seek help elsewhere that's okay, please do but we'll close your topic here as we don't wish to waste time and resource of different helpers

Thank you

 

That wasn't my intenction,I've just wanted to inform you about that because I've thought that it coul had been useful.

So how could I know if the scan is impacted by the av? I'll get any advice by Malwarebytes (and related) tools?

And also I've to enable the option to scan hosts files in the AdwCleaner settings on your opinion ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2024 at 9:01 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Eno-Scott

 

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system. Please read the entire post below before starting so that you're more familiar with the process

Then follow each step in the order provided. Unless otherwise asked, please attach all logs

 

Please make the following system changes:

  • If you have not done so already - Enable System Protection and create a NEW System Restore Point
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first only if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the downloads are completed
  • Disable-Fast-Startup
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

Please run the following scans:

  1. Click the following link and run a  Scan with AdwCleaner
  2. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Malwarebytes 
       RESTART the computer
  3. Click the following link and run a  Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 
     

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

 

Thank you

 

. After the scan with AdwCleaner the system hasn't rebooted

How have I to attach the .txt log file (it seems that isn't possible to attach here a file with .txt extention,have I to change it?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eno-Scott said:

Ok I've rebooted,now how have I to attach the log file here ?

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

 

Edited by Porthos
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Example image of where to click to attach files when posting your reply

image.thumb.png.e208c182ff570799c53bcf57

 

I know,but if I try to do that dragging  the notepad .txt log file it simply doesn't works..and even I can't search for the file because them are inside the app and I suppose that AdwCleaner doesn't create any folder to search on my C drive,am I wrong ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Overall the logs look okay.

Are you still seeing any signs of infection or other issues?

 

Don't know, sometimes I see something happening on the OS that seems strange to me (changes in the disposition of icons on desktop, windows that changes size,strange black windows like command prompt when I open some app for example..and again some settings in the os and softwares that changes or that I find disabled, maybe bugs? Or something else?)..

How could I be more accurate in the research,what have I to look up for?

Could you explain me better which could be identified like signals of possible infection or some malicious activity related ?

Thanks for helping me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Logs showing such an infection.

Applications installed that you did not install

Accounts you can no longer log into

etc.

 

 

Please download and run the following Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 and save it to your Desktop.

(Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool version 20.0.10.0 was released on November 9, 2021)

Download: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

https://devbuilds.s.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/KVRT/latest/full/KVRT.exe

How to run a scan with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020
https://support.kaspersky.com/15674

How to run Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 in the advanced mode
https://support.kaspersky.com/15680

How to restore a file removed during Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 scan
https://support.kaspersky.com/15681

 


Select the  image.png  Windows Key and R Key together, the "Run" box should open.

user posted image

Drag and Drop KVRT.exe into the Run Box.

user posted image

C:\Users\{your user name}\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe will now show in the run box.

image.png

add -dontencrypt   Note the space between KVRT.exe and -dontencrypt

C:\Users\{your user name}\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe -dontencrypt should now show in the Run box.
 
image.png


That addendum to the run command is very important, when the scan does eventually complete the resultant report is normally encrypted, with the extra command it is saved as a readable file.

Reports are saved here C:\KVRT2020_Data\Reports and look similar to this report_20210123_113021.klr
Right-click direct onto that report, select > open with > Notepad. Save that file and attach it to your reply.

To start the scan select OK in the "Run" box.

A EULA window will open, tick all confirmation boxes then select "Accept"

image.png

In the new window select "Change Parameters"

image.png

In the new window ensure all selection boxes are ticked, then select "OK" The scan should now start...

user posted image

When complete if entries are found there will be options, if "Cure" is offered leave as is. For any other options change to "Delete" then select "Continue"

user posted image

When complete, or if nothing was found select "Close"

image.png

Attach the report information as previously instructed...
 
Thank you
 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Logs showing such an infection.

Applications installed that you did not install

Accounts you can no longer log into

etc.

 

 

Please download and run the following Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 and save it to your Desktop.

(Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool version 20.0.10.0 was released on November 9, 2021)

Download: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

https://devbuilds.s.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/KVRT/latest/full/KVRT.exe

How to run a scan with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020
https://support.kaspersky.com/15674

How to run Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 in the advanced mode
https://support.kaspersky.com/15680

How to restore a file removed during Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2020 scan
https://support.kaspersky.com/15681

 


Select the  image.png   Windows Key and R Key together, the "Run" box should open.

user posted image

Drag and Drop KVRT.exe into the Run Box.

user posted image

C:\Users\{your user name}\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe will now show in the run box.

image.png

add -dontencrypt   Note the space between KVRT.exe and -dontencrypt

C:\Users\{your user name}\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe -dontencrypt should now show in the Run box.
 
image.png


That addendum to the run command is very important, when the scan does eventually complete the resultant report is normally encrypted, with the extra command it is saved as a readable file.

Reports are saved here C:\KVRT2020_Data\Reports and look similar to this report_20210123_113021.klr
Right-click direct onto that report, select > open with > Notepad. Save that file and attach it to your reply.

To start the scan select OK in the "Run" box.

A EULA window will open, tick all confirmation boxes then select "Accept"

image.png

In the new window select "Change Parameters"

image.png

In the new window ensure all selection boxes are ticked, then select "OK" The scan should now start...

user posted image

When complete if entries are found there will be options, if "Cure" is offered leave as is. For any other options change to "Delete" then select "Continue"

user posted image

When complete, or if nothing was found select "Close"

image.png

Attach the report information as previously instructed...
 
Thank you
 
 

 

 

About these signs that you've said like possible infection related my questions are:

1. Logs : Are you referring to AV scans logs or other logs?

2.Applications : In effect I've installed on this OS (Windows 10) some apps that I don't remember to have installed but they could be system apps,something installed by Windows or during the installation of other apps..about that point I've done some searches online (even for my smartphones) but (like you'll surely know) it isn't always easy to find infos about potentially system apps,have you any more precise suggestions on how or where should I search?

3.Regarding accounts issues : I've had these issues sometimes trying to access into some  accounts of mine, for example it has happened sometimes that I've had this precise issue trying to access into my Bitdefender password manager on my smartphone and also with my Google account (even that on the phone) sometimes (for example trying to access from browsers in my Youtube profile or Google account).

Plus I've also noticed sometimes others possible signals like some session that I didn't recognize or more rarely some device that wasn't mine (or for example the browser listed like the one for the access or the location of the log in)

I've asked and opened tickets for these issues and also I'm trying tome more wary as possible about (enabling 2fa auth for example or following the common advices on that argument),but is not that easy sometimes and there is always the possibility of making a mistake even if you pay attention.

 

About KVRT.exe : Should I disable Bitdefender av and real-time protection before running that ?

(to be honest I've already done some scans of his OS using Kaspersky Rescue Disk and it haven't founded nothing..but sometimes he and also BDTS have signaled me some unkwon objects or some objects where the scan couldn't had been applied...How could I solve that? How could I check an object that couldn't be analyze by an AV ? ) 

I appreciate your help,thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Yes, disable Bitdefender real-time protection while the Kaspersky scan runs.

Yes, the logs we've be scanning is what I'm talking about.

Bottom line is that if you NO SOLID verifiable evidence of malware after running multiple scans and multiple logs then it is extremely unlikely have any infection.

If you're truly that concerned or bother then it's best you backup your personal data and do a CLEAN install of Windows.

 

 

Clean Install Windows 10 & 11 (2023)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-windows-10-11-2023/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Also, please review the following topic

Bypass Microsoft Online Account Creation during installation of Windows 11
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/296613-bypass-microsoft-online-account-creation-during-installation-of-windows-11/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.