Need Help not sure what's causing this

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Okay. I've gotten myself maybe a bit confused. I just ran av scanner for the s cond time.

I didn't click any boxes to quarantine threats and whatever it said. I guess it finished running, tried to restart computer, but I stopped it to save files before it did that. So, now the restart didn't happen.

But even after first scan when it did restart, there were no folders on my desktop.

What did I do wrong, and now that I'm able to run it, what do I do? Check any boxes? Check to have things quarantined? Maybe those logs are in the program? 

I don't know .

Okay. Still not sure if I did this right. BTW, I left that program up because I thought it was still running? IDK. The 1st post w/ the files were from first run. Second post for second time I ran it. It's 4:21 am, I don't remember why I did that. THE GOOD THING: I'm posting and uploading to the forum from my laptop. SO THAT IS A POSITIVE thing.

I am already very grateful to you, I hope you can find something helpfup in there, but either way, if more is needed from me... keep on instructing!

• Root Admin

Thank you for the logs @rechelle

Sorry for the delay but I don't officially work on the weekends and I'm feeling under the weather.

Please run the steps below.

[ 1 ]

Please temporarily uninstall the Avast antivirus and restart the computer. Windows comes with Windows Defender which is pretty much on par almost with Avast so the computer will still have protection.

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, Uninstall a program

Then right-click and uninstall the following

• Avast Premium Security - then restart the computer. If any of the other Avast programs still show in the Add/Remove then please uninstall them too.
  • Avast Cleanup Premium
  • Avast Secure Browser

The following other programs should also be uninstall

• Adobe Flash Player 32 PPAPI (no longer supported by Adobe for many years now) 
  • Bonjour  (this program is rarely needed on Windows and often creates networking issues) 

Unless you're actively using RealNetworks to store, save, and process media I would recommend you consider uninstalling it. It originally was from 2013

RealPlayer Cloud (old program and often much better software these days available) 

[ 2 ]

I see you have the Google Password Manager installed. I would highly recommend not using a password manager based on the web browser.

You may wish to review the following topic that discusses about Password Managers a little. I would not change though until we're done cleaning your computer.

[ 3 ]

Your DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1  

Please consider changing your default DNS server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

Pick just one of these 5 providers. And be aware that you need to modify 1 time for IPv4 & a 2nd pass for IPv6

• Quad 9 Public DNS  IPv4  9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112  IPv6  2620:fe::fe  and  2620:fe::9  (one of the best for most users)
  • Google Public DNSIPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • CloudflareIPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNSIPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCHIPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

[ 4 ]

It looks like VSS may be having issues

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), Diagnostic Tool, from Acronis

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.

[ 5 ]

Please complete the steps above before running this fix

Please run the following fix

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

• NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRSTEnglish.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\rechelle\Desktop\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTEnglish.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed.
                Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies may possibly be removed in some cases, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

Thanks

• Root Admin
  • Solution

You have a hard drive disk error.

Timestamp: 3/27/2024 7:59:22 AM
Type: Error
Source: disk
Message: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

That is a sign the hard drive is starting to fail. There is no way to determine how long it may last but it's best to backup your personal data to an external drive while you can before the drive does fail.

Then look at purchasing a new hard drive and either clone the current drive or reinstall Windows

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Due to the nature of the hardware issue I'm going to close this topic now.

If you get the hard drive replaced and still need help with malware review, please start a new topic or send me a private message and we can reopen the topic.

Best of luck

Take care and stay safe out there