continuious IP blocks

Hi,

I have just loaded Malwarebytes again, last time it would not work properly when I tried to protect my machine. Anyway, it is working well now, maybe too well. I keep getting messages about malicious IPs it has blocked, about 10 every minute. I lot are the same few ips (I think, they are so fast to disappear). Every time I click on a link to anywhere, a new message will appear. I get connected alright but I keep getting so many messages.

Is this normal? Can they be hidden? Do I have a problem? All my logs are clean. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, AVG internet security.and Spybot S&D as well. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Bob

Greetings and welcome :)

Do you have any peer to peer software installed and running such as a bittorrent client, emule, or LimeWire? If so, those would be likely causes as many peer IP's often reside on blocked ranges. If you want to know exactly which IP's were blocked you can find the Protection Logs as indicated here. That link also includes information on the nature of the IP Protection and gives you options for controlling its behavior.

If you need anything else just post.

Greetings and welcome :)

Do you have any peer to peer software installed and running such as a bittorrent client, emule, or LimeWire? If so, those would be likely causes as many peer IP's often reside on blocked ranges. If you want to know exactly which IP's were blocked you can find the Protection Logs as indicated here. That link also includes information on the nature of the IP Protection and gives you options for controlling its behavior.

If you need anything else just post.

Hi, Thank you for your assistance, i think another user on this PC has bit torrent running, I will check, will it cause any problems if he leaves it running or should it not be used?

Thank you again,

Bob

Hello again :D

You're very welcome. It won't hurt bittorrent or Malwarebytes' to leave them running, but generally we do advise against the use of such file sharing software, simply because it's one of the most common ways that infections spread these days because users are downloading files from unknown sources that could've been manipulated in any number of ways to make them potentially malicious :) . All to often the users who are infected and come here looking for help got infected in the first place by using such software and they usually end up infected again and coming back for more help when they keep using it.