Malwarebytes extention causes Chrome to freeze in google maps

DN-ME
Go to solution Solved by Porthos,

I think the best solution is not use the extension until they fix it. I am not going to change the way I work because of a incompetent company that does not test their product. I read other posts from 2019 with the same issue and problem persists today.

• Staff

Click on the three vertical dots (hamburger menu) in the upper right of the Browser Guard UI and then click on Support:

image.png

Then click on debug logs in the lower left corner:

image.png

Then share the debub logs found in your download folder.

It is ok to do this without accessing Google Maps.  We need to understand the device setup.

Thank you. Please see attached logs.

I went to google maps, then I moved around the map until it froze. It was the only tab open. If froze, I went to task manager to end task, but after, I was not able to loan chrome. So, I had to reboot my computer in ordfer to run chrome again. 

I have had this same issue with other web sites. Where I just open the site and it freezes and I cannot turn Malwarebytes off to restore the site.  If I could uppin it, it would not be a problem, but it just freezes and nothing I can do. However, when the extention works, it is very good, but having it freeze is not any fun, as it will freeze ALL of the tabs I have open, and often I lose time a work. 

Thank you,

Dn

BG-Logs_v2.6.22_2024-02-24_8219.txt

• Like 1
  • Root Admin

Hello @DN-ME

I've been trying to duplicate your issue now for thirty minutes and cannot duplicate.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Let me get some other logs to see if I can find something else going on with your system.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

image.png

Hi- thank you for working on it for me. 

I can duplicate it every time with google maps

1. Chrome
  2. Turn on
  3. Malwarebytes Browser Guard
  4. https://maps.app.goo.gl/RnruqFzKbfRuBkjHA
  5. zoom in and out by stress the graphics.
  6. You might also want to have another tab or monitor with a tv show, for example  https://www.msnbc.com/live  or HBO or similar. 

Chrome will freeze and the only way to get back it to use task manager and end the task for chrome.

1. As long as Malwarebytes Browser Guard is OFF, I can go crazy with multiple programs running: outlook, word, photoshop, firefox, and chrome streaming all at the same time.  However, as soon as I turn on Malwarebytes Browser Guard it will freeze while I am using google maps 3d. It will also freeze at other times, but in google maps it will duplicate quicker.
  • Root Admin

I'm not an extensive user of Google Chrome as that company makes nearly a $87 billion dollars a year from monitoring you and selling Ads. I highly recommend the use of Firefox or if you really want the Chromium browser then use at least Brave

However, I've tried and tried and cannot duplicate your issues in Google Chrome

Again, please post back the other requested set of logs and we'll be happy to try and help you out.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Root Admin

Wow, that is some crazy amount of hate on that msnbc but I went ahead and played a video of some news woman. Opened two other tabs with YouTube videos, one playing a kids show from Disney, the other playing a free movie with Ads.

The audio of course steps all over each other but the videos all stream without breaking and the news show streams without breaking, stalling, or freezing.

Then did street level scanning, panning, in and out and again no freezing for me.

Google Maps goes anywhere I want and shows me what I'm looking for without any freezing or stalling

CAP-000795.jpg

CAP-000796.jpg

CAP-000797.jpg

CAP-000798.jpg

Opened a second tab with your specific link to a location and still no issue going in and out.

CAP-000799.jpg

CAP-000800.jpg

CAP-000801.jpg

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Like 1

yes, and thanx, but I realized I could turn off the BG in each web site, but the probem is easy to repeat with google maps, but there are other sites the also cause the same issue. For example TOPCASHBACK will freeze as soon as I open the page and then there is no way to turn off BG without going to Task manager and end task.  It will do it every time even if it is the only extenstion on. 

• Root Admin

Without logs we cannot assist you. You can continue to not use the extension if you wish but so far with multiple other people unable to reproduce it sure looks like an issue with your computer.

I'll go ahead and close the topic and wish you well since you don't wish to provide logs to assist you.

Thank you