Malwarebytes 5

After grabbing MBSETUP from the website, I see MB 5.17 installed on the PC in question. (all of my other 40+ installations are MB 4.x so this is new for me)

I am HIGHLY dismayed at the new Dashboard which lists all of the other installation machines under my license. This is absolutely unacceptable for my use case. I don't need the users of my workstations seeing the names and statuses of other workstations in my enterprise.

Is there any way to shut this down? What idiot thought this was a good idea?

Also not happy about the display for a VPN control in the dashboard but I can at least live with that.

MB 5 screensshot.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edzila said:

I don't need the users of my workstations seeing the names and statuses of other workstations in my enterprise.

The consumer version of Malwarebytes is not licensed for business use. You mentioned 40+ installs.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The consumer version of Malwarebytes is not licensed for business use. You mentioned 40+ installs.

This is unhelpful.... MB is licensed to a PC not to a specific type of use.

I have 40+ standalone machines in the field. I have never wanted a centrally managed solution, so we use this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edzila said:

MB is licensed to a PC not to a specific type of use.

This is the stand-alone version for Business. https://www.malwarebytes.com/teams

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407331426707-Malwarebytes-for-Teams-FAQ

The consumer version you have now is not for use in a business.

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, ChuckOp said:

Curious, why are all these devices associated with your Malwarebytes account?  Is there a reason the individual users don't have their own accounts?

Okay this is worse than reddit, thanks for nothing guys

• Administrators

Hello @Edzila

This is Jason from Support. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the latest version of Malwarebytes. We are taking a cautious approach in rolling out this version to ensure a smooth transition. Therefore, not everyone may have the same experience yet. As we roll out this version, your other devices will also be prompted to update.

Per your previous message, we understand your use case differs from our target audience with this specific version and its features. Therefore, I would highly appreciate it if you could share a particular use case with us so we can pass it on to the relevant teams within the company. This will help us determine if we can accommodate your needs in future updates and features. 

Feel free to Private message me at your convenience.  

Edited by jtodd234
  • Like 2

• Staff
15 hours ago, Edzila said:

After grabbing MBSETUP from the website, I see MB 5.17 installed on the PC in question. (all of my other 40+ installations are MB 4.x so this is new for me)

I am HIGHLY dismayed at the new Dashboard which lists all of the other installation machines under my license. This is absolutely unacceptable for my use case. I don't need the users of my workstations seeing the names and statuses of other workstations in my enterprise.

Is there any way to shut this down? What idiot thought this was a good idea?

Also not happy about the display for a VPN control in the dashboard but I can at least live with that.

MB 5 screensshot.png

Hello, thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the trouble this has caused and we are already working on a solution for this. I will reach out to you via direct message to get more information about your use case. Thank you for being a part of the Malwarebytes community.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Three things I really dislike about MB5:

They took the version number out of the bubble:

Clipboard_01.jpg.336a18e17b7ab04305854b20a301eed3.jpg

They added a non-removable ad for Premium Plus to the right-click menu:

Clipboard_02.jpg.56555c8792d6c5e5cb250d1f33ba0f25.jpg

And this huge, non-removablke ad for PP and a VPN in the Dashboard is completely unacceptable.

Clipboard_03.jpg.be4c60bcadc5502a7068934f21da265b.jpg

And I thought MWB was more service-oriented than SALES oriented. Boy, was I ever wrong!

• Like 7

• Staff
1 hour ago, Wisewiz said:

And this huge, non-removablke ad for PP and a VPN in the Dashboard is completely unacceptable.

And I thought MWB was more service-oriented than SALES oriented. Boy, was I ever wrong!

Hello @Wisewiz thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. I've captured your feedback and will work with the team on options to improve the experience here. Thank you for being a part of the Malwarebytes community.

- Aaron

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wisewiz said:

Agree, I do not need or approve of the "upsell".

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

It would be "better" if that VPN dialogue on the Dashboard would/could be Collapsible if VPN is not installed.

I don't mean to sound grumpy, just reasonable. That big block should be hideable by Premium users who don't want PP or the VPN, and that upsell stuff in the context menu when you right-click the icon in the tray should be "vanished." The redundancy of the upsell in the context and the dashboard is a matter of unreasonable thinking IMO. 

Actually, it probably isn't even there if VPN is installed, so I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

Edited by Wisewiz
None

@H4V0C My biggest gripe at the moment is the fact that MB 5 has no way to see the license or even activate it with the old format keys. I know how to activate in the account portal. My issue is I have 500+ keys in my portal some are active on computers and many are not. There is no way to search the portal for key numbers either. I know I am an extreme fringe case but you see my issue.

• Like 2

Just upgraded to Malwarebytes 5 on a test machine. As Privacy VPN is now built in, we have lost the visual indicator that the VPN is connected:

image.jpeg.2017f9ce4cbb65f8e4784957e019ac66.jpeg

Version 4 taskbar with VPN installed: image.jpeg.37fc83e1ed5d130ea815448286611062.jpeg

This is a significant problem, as you can no longer just glance to check if VPN is connected, or hover over to check status and server.

Could the coloured dot be added to the Malwarbytes icon, and the VPN hover over information be added, if Premium Plus is installed and activated?

• Like 5

• Staff
2 hours ago, Dave77 said:

Just upgraded to Malwarebytes 5 on a test machine. As Privacy VPN is now built in, we have lost the visual indicator that the VPN is connected:

image.jpeg.2017f9ce4cbb65f8e4784957e019ac66.jpeg

Version 4 taskbar with VPN installed: image.jpeg.37fc83e1ed5d130ea815448286611062.jpeg

This is a significant problem, as you can no longer just glance to check if VPN is connected, or hover over to check status and server.

Could the coloured dot be added to the Malwarbytes icon, and the VPN hover over information be added, if Premium Plus is installed and activated?

Hello @Dave77 thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've passed this on to the team for review.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Wisewiz said:

It looks like they also took it off the title bar.

Version 4:image.jpeg.90705ef1a8f36f9031c50d27d69e9a06.jpeg

It is the little things like this that make all the difference. Now you have to go looking for the version number rather than having it presented to you.

• Like 4

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Dave77 said:

It looks like they also took it off the title bar.

Version 4:image.jpeg.90705ef1a8f36f9031c50d27d69e9a06.jpeg

It is the little things like this that make all the difference. Now you have to go looking for the version number rather than having it presented to you.

I can look into this one as well. Can you help me understand more about how you use the version information today? Looking for some context like...

• Personal device: I use the version number to make sure I have the latest version and/or to confirm whether Malwarebytes is updated automatically.
  • Supporting others: I have friends/family/clients that contact me regarding Malwarebytes and I need to know the version number when assisting them.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, H4V0C said:

I can look into this one as well. Can you help me understand more about how you use the version information today? Looking for some context like...

• Personal device: I use the version number to make sure I have the latest version and/or to confirm whether Malwarebytes is updated automatically.
  • Supporting others: I have friends/family/clients that contact me regarding Malwarebytes and I need to know the version number when assisting them.

Hi @H4V0C You have hit the nail on the head with both your statements.

I use Malwarebytes at home, on multiple devices,  including those of other members of the household. It becomes second nature when helping/supporting/fixing other family members devices to quickly check, for example, are they up to date? are they connected to VPN? etc.

On my own devices I find this information is almost checked subconsciously and I will notice if, for example the VPN has disconnected, or the version is out of date compared to the latest version (posted on a subscribed thread and notified from the forum).

It now becomes less obvious, and you have to conciously 'click' into things that were previously 'just there' making it a worse experience.

I also agree with previous posts that showing 'Other devices' (in the trusted Advisor section) for all devices on a licence is not helpful. I would not want other family members 'Viewing and resolving issues' on my devices. Unfortunately this has almost created the need for an 'administrator' login for the licence holder and a 'user' login for other family members (Perhaps beyond the scope of a personal product), or the ability to password protect the 'other devices' section, or hide/remove it completely.

Thanks for looking into these issues, and hopefully they can be resolved.

• Like 5