Bitcoin miner virus in my PC

hixeno
Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello. :welcome: My name is Maurice. I will guide you.

• Removing pesky malware can be an involved set of tasks over separate runs. Have much patience. Follow my directions. 
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Do these 2 steps so that ALL folders & Files are set to SHOW, plus also, Turn OFF Windows Fast start.
    1. Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299345-show-hidden-folders-files-extensions/

2. Disable-Fast-Startup
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

3. First some housekeeping, and then one Scan.  There will be more later after all this.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, let us make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

• now Click the General tab.
  • Under Application updates, click the Check for updates button.

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Let me know how that goes.    Next, the Malwarebytes scan

Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d5c4071c62ed66534301fbb217b93bc0.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.6c45445994d4125c0b617ac7c5551e03.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

(  4   )

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it
guide & download link

Then be sure to close all web browsers after the download & before launching the tool.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

Guide article

NOTE: IF Adwcleaner in the results shows "no items" flagged, then please click on the button marked "Run Basic Repair"

adwcleaner-basic-repair.png.b6454e1c53e6ff2c6d0b97103375d6b7.png

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed.

Both runs are good. I do believe a good chunk of the infection has been squashed. Here a few more things. I want to be real sure this machine has the very latest Malwarebytes version.

Next some housekeeping, and then one Scan.  
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, let us make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

• now Click the General tab.
  • Under Application updates, click the Check for updates button.

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Let me know how that goes.    Next, the Malwarebytes scan

Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d5c4071c62ed66534301fbb217b93bc0.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.6c45445994d4125c0b617ac7c5551e03.jpg

NEXT,

I would like a report set for review. This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool
Be sure it is SAVEd.

Do a RIGHT-click on mb-support-1.9.5.9nn,exe & select "Run as administrator" and reply YES and ALLOW it to proceed.

click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished. It may take several minutes to fully generate the report.
Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

• Solution

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. The meaning of the "Fix button" operation here is just to run a custom script just for this particular machine.

NOTE-1:  This custom fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will attempt to run some scans with Microsoft Defender antivirus. It will attempt to clear Cache files of web browsers.  It will attempt to clear temporary file areas. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 50-55 minutes or more.

Please Close all open work before you actually do begin this run.

FRSTENGLISH program location:   Downloads folder. The tool is already on system. That is what we will use.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to Downloads

Fixlist.txt<- < - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Right-click with your mouse on  FRSTENGLISH and select "Run as Administrator" and reply Yes and allow it to proceed when prompted. That is important.

next, press the Fix button just once and wait.

You will see a green-color scroll display while FRST is running.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

NOTICE: For potential outside readers,  This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause harm.

Thank you. The custom run is a big help. As a next step, I suggest the following:
This is for a scan with ESET Onlinescanner (free). ESET is a well-respected, well-known entity and tool. ESET Onlinescanner checks for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.
This here you can start & once it is under way, you can leave the machine alone & let it run over-night. No need to keep watch once it starts the actual scan run.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

If upon launching the Esetonlinescanner, there is a windows-message box displaying

A driver cannot load on this device. Driver ehdrv.sys

then, please, TICK the check-box

"Don't show this message again"

and then, click the Close button on that window-box. The ESET scan will proceed forward.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on CUSTOM scan  and select C drive to be scanned
  • Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"
  • and click on Start scan button.

Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be. That is, once it is under way, you should leave it running. It will run for several hours.

• At screen "Detections occurred and resolved" click on blue button "View detected results"
  • On next screen, at lower left, click on blue "Save scan log"
  • View where file is to be saved. Provide a meaningful name for the "File name:"
  • On last screen, set to Off (left) the option for Periodic scanning
  • Click "save and continue"
  • Please attach the report file so I can review

NEXT

I need you to run 2 new reports. Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the next software below

( Two ) 

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
    Windows Firewall
    System Restore
    Security Center/Action Center
    Windows Update
    Windows Defender
    Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.  

( three ) 

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here

and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
                         Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Do stick with me. I believe there is more to be covered.

ESET scan all fine.  FSS report good.

Microsoft 365 - en-us v.16.0.17029.20068 Warning! Download Update
How Install Office updates?

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x86) - 14.36.32532 v.14.36.32532.0 Warning! Download Update
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.36.32532 v.14.36.32532.0 Warning! Download Update

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hello Hixeno.
I was simply looking for the result of a new scan with Malwarebytes. I do believe your Windows is good-to-go.
This here is about cleanup of tools I had you use.

👌💢 Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the next software below

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.
Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_2-15.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • After that is all done,
  • Delete mb-support-1.9.5.999.exe
  • Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Your system is good-to-go.    😎
Sincerely.

We're glad that we were able to assist you.

The following information will help you to keep your computer and data safer as well as improve your overall privacy

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/780233/best-password-manager/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download     https://patchmypc.com/about-us
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you'd like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes. Please tell your friends and family if they too need assistance with malware removal

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you