[ RESOLVED ] Can't update MB Free

I have MB Free and am on version 4.6.6.294, Update package version 1.0.77881, and Component package version 1.0.2189. I tried updating as I saw in the update thread that it was upgraded to 1.0.2201 but when I tried to update, the first few updates would say i'm good (likely the definition updates) but then I would get this message

N51Ttpc.png

And I would get this message in the bottom corner of my screen

phwFxRY.png

So I restart my computer and try to update again (I have MB set to not load when Windows loads so it doesn't run in the background), and I get the same two messages when I try to update.

Edited by Dinobot2
Version number

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

After enough attempts to restart I was able to get to 1.0.2201 (going by memory as i'm not at home right now) on an update that just restarted the app, but I restarted my computer anyway, and then ran the scan I wanted to after. So I won't be in front of my computer for another 8 hours or so but i'll try it then.

Was there something wrong with the update function that I missed that requires this current installer or is this a "just in case" kind of thing?

Edited by Dinobot2

2 minutes ago, Dinobot2 said:

I was able to get to 1.0.2201 (going by memory as i'm not at home right now) on an update that just restarted the app

That is what is supposed to happen during a version update.

3 minutes ago, Dinobot2 said:

Was there something wrong with the update function that I missed that requires this current installer or is this a "just in case" kind of thing?

I was just going on your post. It Might have been a "one-off" issue.

It could have Avast messing with it. I have never been an Avast fan and my disgust with it got even worse when Windows 10 was released in 2015 and caused major issues with 10.

The only AV I pair with Malwarebytes free or paid is Windows Defender. I or my clients have never had issues with that combination.

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, but it didn't do that until after the first computer restart and then I got the message again before the update appeared successful.

The sequence was:

1. Update failed, asking to restart computer.

2. Restarted computer from MBAM prompt

3. Update failed again, asking to restart computer.

4. Restart prompt ignored

5. Update successful, MBAM restarts to install

6. Component version up to date.

7. Restarted computer manually from Start menu

8. Did MBAM c drive scan which is, presumably, still in progress.

In between these steps were me clicking "Check for Updates" a number of times where it just told me I was up to date. I remember you telling me a while back that that's how the updates work sometimes which is moderately frustrating.

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I was just going on your post. It Might have been a "one-off" issue.

It could have Avast messing with it. I have never been an Avast fan and my disgust with it got even worse when Windows 10 was released in 2015 and caused major issues with 10.

The only AV I pair with Malwarebytes free or paid is Windows Defender. I or my clients have never had issues with that combination.

This is the first time I have had this update issue come up so if it's Avast they decided to do it now for the first time and then be ok with it right after to allow the update. Haven't had any issues between the two before, at least noticeably. Neither one flags the other in scans either.

Do you know for sure if Avast is the cause of this or is this speculation? I remember you saying in another thread a while back that there shouldn't be any issues with MBAM Free and other AV, Avast included.

Edited by Dinobot2
Typos

1 minute ago, Dinobot2 said:

Do you know for sure if Avast is the cause of this or is this speculation?

Speculation, because Avast can be aggressive.

2 minutes ago, Dinobot2 said:

I remember you saying in another thread a while back that there shouldn't be any issues with MBAM Free and other AV, Avast included.

That is correct.

It won't affect scanning. Some 3rd party AV's "can affect" downloads of updates. I can not comment because I have no honest idea or proof that Avast was an issue. I just don't tempt fate by using any other 3rd party AV with Malwarebytes. I always am on the side of caution with computers.

I want you to do the following. It is usually the cause of most issues.

Disable-Fast-Startup
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

I'll see if my laptop has gone haywire when I return home, and next time there is a major update I will try again and see if I have the same issue.

Probably a stupid question here, but if it is issues between Avast and MBAM, is it issues that Avast is causing with MBAM only? (Meaning Avast is functioning properly but MBAM isn't) Or would MBAM update failures here interfere with Avast's real time shields and other functionality?

4 hours ago, Dinobot2 said:

Fast start up is only related to the "Shut down" function which I rarely use. It doesn't affect restarts. I had also properly restarted my computer 10 or so hours before attempting the update.

Just to follow up on this, I can do this if it makes a big difference, but is this only an issue if I shut down my computer often? Or is Fast startup being on in itself something that causes installation and disk issues? I rarely shut down my computer and restart it regularly (at minimum once a month for Windows Updates), so that's why I am wondering.

40 minutes ago, Dinobot2 said:

I can do this if it makes a big difference, but is this only an issue if I shut down my computer often? Or is Fast startup being on in itself something that causes installation and disk issues? I rarely shut down my computer and restart it regularly (at minimum once a month for Windows Updates), so that's why I am wondering.

Don't worry about it.

Ok thanks.

Sorry to keep pestering you but would you have any insight on this question?

5 hours ago, Dinobot2 said:

Probably a stupid question here, but if it is issues between Avast and MBAM, is it issues that Avast is causing with MBAM only? (Meaning Avast is functioning properly but MBAM isn't) Or would MBAM update failures here interfere with Avast's real time shields and other functionality?

1 minute ago, Dinobot2 said:

would you have any insight on this question?

Have no clue/concrete answer. So I did not answer the question. As I stated I have no love for the program and even more so after they merged with AVG and acquired Ccleaner and screwed it up as well.

• Root Admin
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this topic that I started a couple of months back to show that I still can't update to the latest version. I'm still stuck on Program version 4.6.6.294 and Component package version 1.0.2201. I'm not even getting the error that I got last time where it asked me to restart or saying there was an error with an update. When I first clicked to Check for update, it downloaded and installed an update, which I assume is the Update package version. Ever since, every "Check for updates" click on either the General or About tab just leads to being told that Malwarebytes is up to date.

image.png.4edee4679df1eb8da3d616a237759b76.png

image.png.38dde507bc635bded61ef06e2de615b9.png

I would still prefer to keep it as the free version to avoid maneuvering stuff around and having real-time protection from Malwarebytes be temporarily activated, even if only for a few seconds, to avoid any issues or interference with Avast. I would also not like any other Malwarebytes settings to be reset.

Edited by Dinobot2

6 minutes ago, Dinobot2 said:

I would still prefer to keep it as the free version to avoid maneuvering stuff around and having real-time protection from Malwarebytes be temporarily activated, even if only for a few seconds, to avoid any issues or interference with Avast. I would also not like any other Malwarebytes settings to be reset.

You never know when the free trial will be enabled for free users. You just have to deal, the minor time it takes to deactivate will NOT affect Avast.

When installing over the existing install will not affect any other setting except enabling the trial.

Edited by Porthos

Well good news on two counts. It updated me to the latest program and component version and kept me on the free version with settings in tact.

image.png.25d4e12890bc08d462c4398aa44cc1ec.png

Edited by Dinobot2
New screenshot to show latest Update package version
  • Like 1