VPN Use Conundrum

TDK

Just started using VPN on my desktop earlier this year.

But have been noticing there are many websites, that once they detect I am on a VPN they close the connection.

When I disconnect VPN, voila, same website works!

I undertand that happening when going to music (spotify) and movie websites (netflix) due to different country movie rights, etc.

But the websites I am seeing this on are general FYI websites, like with a .CA extension (Canada).

Ironic, as for the longest time, I/we have been hearing that using VPN is a big security blanket. Yet, it is becoming a real pain for me.

Having to remember which websites are VPN friendly & which are not.

What am I missing? I understand that all VPN's are given a range of IP's that are publicly known to belong wot VPN's and which VPN's specifically, i.e. NordVPN, HotSpot VPN.

Thx

3 minutes ago, TDK said:

I guess by default, it is assumed that when a VPN is being used, person behind is a hacker?

With Video content sites, it is the geographic restrictions the say Netflix has to abide by for licensing of the content.

For other sites, malicious actors/hackers use VPN's to avoid detection and prosecution so they do whatever they can to block them.

On 10/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, Porthos said:

I have seen some VPN's market themselves to bypass those restrictions and I presume they are always adjusting to make changes to try to keep up with VPN blocks.

Malwarebytes being a security company would not go against those restrictions.

But.... VPN is justy for this

In fact any youtuber offering VPN sedrvices, the 1st or 2nd feature mentioned, is to bypass geo-blocks

21 minutes ago, leo3487 said:

In fact any youtuber offering VPN sedrvices, the 1st or 2nd feature mentioned, is to bypass geo-blocks

As a security company, Malwarebytes does not bypass any geo-restrictions or content restrictions. I can't access Netflix and I am in my own country,

• Like 1

• Root Admin
11 hours ago, leo3487 said:

But.... VPN is justy for this

No, both Proxy and VPN were designed to bypass restrictions where the user from their own work network or home ISP could not access certain sites.

Don't forget both have been around long before streaming even existed. Over time many VPN did evolve to include code or work to help try to bypass geo-restrictions. As said, we do not.