Jump to content

Can't seem to get the installation program to start


PPSC98
Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Recommended Posts

  • Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

  • For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

 

 

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

 

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Link to post
Share on other sites

@PPSC98

I see what the problem could be. Someone attempted to Block the activation of Malwarebytes at some point.

The following entries must be removed from your HOSTS file:

 

Hosts File Blocks
========================================
Host data:    8.8.8.8    malwarebytes.com

Instructions on resetting your HOSTS file can be found in this Microsoft support article.

 

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@PPSC98

I see what the problem could be. Someone attempted to Block the activation of Malwarebytes at some point.

 

The following entries must be removed from your HOSTS file:

 

 

 

Hosts File Blocks
========================================
Host data:    8.8.8.8    malwarebytes.com

 

Instructions on resetting your HOSTS file can be found in this Microsoft support article.

 

 

 

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or not.

 

Hello! Thanks for the quick reply. Hmmm, yes, that's probably it. However, the issue I'm having right now is with resetting the HOSTS file. I tried following the instructions: I made the file on notepad, saved it on my desktop, then I went to the etc folder, renamed the hosts file there to Hosts.old, and then I pasted the Hosts file I created earlier inside the etc folder. It asks me if I want to replace the hosts file, and I accept it. But then, hmmm, I'm not sure if it's actually replacing the old one? Like, it appears on the list of files inside etc, and then it immediately gets removed. Kinda weird. Either way, the installation still can't seem to work, so I imagine I failed to do the resetting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hello @PPSC98

Please get me the following logs

 

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @PPSC98

Please get me the following logs

 

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

 

 

Hello! I downloaded the tool and saved it on my desktop. Windows kept insisting for me not to run it, but I disregarded that. Anyways, the program crashed immediately when the window popped up. So weird. It's like something is forcing it to shut down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Please run the following fix

 

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

  • NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRST64.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\Pedro\Desktop\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

 

 

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

 

  1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed.
                Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies may possibly be removed in some cases, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please run the following fix

 

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

  • NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRST64.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\Pedro\Desktop\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

 

 

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

 

  1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed.
                Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies may possibly be removed in some cases, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt 1.62 kB · 1 download

Thanks

 

Hello. I did as asked while on safe mode (since, otherwise, the program wouldn't have run haha). Here is the file you asked for.

 

Fixlog.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin
  • Solution

Okay, now from Windows Normal Mode try the following

 

 

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system.


Please make the following changes.

 

  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Disable-Fast-Startup
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

 


Next, run these steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.


[ 1 ]

Malwarebytes for Windows

  • If you already have Malwarebytes installed then open Malwarebytes and click on the small gear icon, then click on the "Check for updates" button on the General tab.
  • After any updates, click the middle Scan button from the main page. It will automatically run a Threat Scan.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed, make sure you have it quarantine any detections it finds.
  • If no detections were found click on the Save results drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If there were detections then once the quarantine has completed click on the View report button, Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If the computer restarted to quarantine you can access the logs from the Detection History, then the History tab. Highlight the most recent scan and double-click to open it. Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let us know in your next reply that the scanner would not run.

[ 2 ]

Malwarebytes AdwCleaner

  • Please download Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and save the file to your Desktop or Downloads folder.
  • Double-click to run the program - Malwarebytes AdwCleaner guide
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • DO NOT uninstall or remove the Preinstalled software if found. Uncheck any items listed as Preinstalled
  • When finished, if items are found please click Quarantine to finish the cleaning process.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach that log to your next reply.
     
  • If No Detections are found, Click Skip Basic Repair

    WARNING: Do Not click the Run Basic Repair button unless instructed to by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper


 

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

[ 3 ]

Gather MBST Logs

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system for any possible infections.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

    WARNING: Do Not click the Repair System under Advanced unless requested to by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

 

Thank you

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, now from Windows Normal Mode try the following

 

 

Let's go ahead and run a couple of scans and get some updated logs from your system.


Please make the following changes.

 

  • Temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection or other security software first if it blocks or interferes with the scans or downloads.. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download software below only if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Disable-Fast-Startup
  • Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions

 


Next, run these steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.


[ 1 ]

Malwarebytes for Windows

  • If you already have Malwarebytes installed then open Malwarebytes and click on the small gear icon, then click on the "Check for updates" button on the General tab.
  • After any updates, click the middle Scan button from the main page. It will automatically run a Threat Scan.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed, make sure you have it quarantine any detections it finds.
  • If no detections were found click on the Save results drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If there were detections then once the quarantine has completed click on the View report button, Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If the computer restarted to quarantine you can access the logs from the Detection History, then the History tab. Highlight the most recent scan and double-click to open it. Then click the Export drop-down, then the Export to TXT  button, and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let us know in your next reply that the scanner would not run.

[ 2 ]

Malwarebytes AdwCleaner

  • Please download Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and save the file to your Desktop or Downloads folder.
  • Double-click to run the program - Malwarebytes AdwCleaner guide
  • Accept the End User License Agreement.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • DO NOT uninstall or remove the Preinstalled software if found. Uncheck any items listed as Preinstalled
  • When finished, if items are found please click Quarantine to finish the cleaning process.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach that log to your next reply.
     
  • If No Detections are found, Click Skip Basic Repair

    WARNING: Do Not click the Run Basic Repair button unless instructed to by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper


 

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

[ 3 ]

Gather MBST Logs

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system for any possible infections.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

    WARNING: Do Not click the Repair System under Advanced unless requested to by a Malwarebytes support agent or authorized helper

 

Thank you

 

Hello! I believe I have done all the steps. I did all of the preliminary ones except for the disabling of the fast startup, since I don't believe my PC even has the option(couldn't find the checkbox). Malwarebytes for Windows finally managed to get installed. I wonder if it was because I turned off the Windows protection, as was asked. Anyways, it did have some detections, which I will attach as the Report file. Then I ran the AdwCleaner, and I believe the log that is requested is the next one I'm gonna attach. Finally, I used the third program and will attach the zip file.

mbst-grab-results.zip

One question: Is it okay for me to turn on my Windows protection right now? I won't touch it just to be safe. Thanks in advance for all the help, haha.

Report.txt AdwCleaner[C00].txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Yes, the computer had quite a few issues. Let's run a few more scans before we call it a victory.

 

Please run the following ESET Online Scanner and perform a Full Scan

 

Click the following link to save the installer for ESET Online Scanner

https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

  • It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET screen, click on "Get Started". Read and accept the Terms of use
  • On the "Before we start..." screen chose if you want to send anonymous data and if you want to provide feedback or not, then click Continue
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on the Full Scan button
  • Enable  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take a few hours or more.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log and give it a name and location you remember.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false postive, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to turn off the offer for “periodic scanning”.
  • Enable "Delete application data on closing" - You do not need to submit feedback unless you want to. Simply ignore and close the program.

 

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

 

Please attach the ESET scan log you saved at the end to your next reply

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, the computer had quite a few issues. Let's run a few more scans before we call it a victory.

 

Please run the following ESET Online Scanner and perform a Full Scan

 

Click the following link to save the installer for ESET Online Scanner

https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

  • It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET screen, click on "Get Started". Read and accept the Terms of use
  • On the "Before we start..." screen chose if you want to send anonymous data and if you want to provide feedback or not, then click Continue
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on the Full Scan button
  • Enable  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take a few hours or more.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log and give it a name and location you remember.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false postive, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to turn off the offer for “periodic scanning”.
  • Enable "Delete application data on closing" - You do not need to submit feedback unless you want to. Simply ignore and close the program.

 

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

 

Please attach the ESET scan log you saved at the end to your next reply

 

Hello. Took quite a while, but the scan is over. Here's the scan log. Can I already reactivate the Windows protection?

 

scan_log.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, you were only supposed to temporarily disable it.

How is the computer running now?

Are there still any signs of infection or other issues?

 

My PC seems to be running perfectly well now. Nothing to complain anymore, so hmm, thank you very much! I'll mark one of your posts as a solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Great, very glad to hear your computer is backing working well again.

 

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

  • right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

 

  1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

 

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.