Infected with clipboard hijacker

Go to solution Solved by EdLinus,

• Solution

Hi, my pc is infected with a clipboard hijacker that modifies criptocurrency addresses. In the video it's shown how when I try to copy one crypto address, instead the clipboard receives another (I aim to copy the one ended in 'AnVh', but clpbrd contents that 'sSb8'-ended that I figure that is owned by a criminal). I need help in order to remove this malware. I'll thank you in advance for your help.

Hello. :welcome: My name is Maurice. I will guide you.

• Removing pesky malware can be an involved set of tasks over separate runs. Have much patience. Follow my directions. 
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Do these 2 steps so that ALL folders & Files are set to SHOW, plus also, Turn OFF Windows Fast start.
    1. Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299345-show-hidden-folders-files-extensions/

2. Disable-Fast-Startup
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

3. I would like a report set for review. This is a report only. This is the first beginning step so I can see what is what on this particular machine.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

Hi. I am listing below the next initial steps to help the case along.
Open an elevated Powershell window  .

On the Taskbar Search box, type in

powershell.exe

click the line for "run as administrator"

It is best to use the Windows Copy ( CTRL+ C )  and paste  ( CTRL+V )  for the whole line, as-is
On that Powershell prompt-window,  Copy & Paste this command

Set-Service -Name winmgmt -StartupType automatic -force

press Enter-key on keyboard   and watch & write down the result

Copy & Paste this command

Start-Service -Name "winmgmt"

press Enter-key on keyboard   and watch & write down the result

Close Powershell window.

Let's do one special run  with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner. 

It will not take much time, Read over all lines before starting so that you have a good understanding of the whole method. Take your time and go careful. I ant to make sure you select all of what I list below - before- pressing the "scan" button.

First download & save it

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Do not rush. There are a few first choices to set as I have listed below.

Reply YES at the Windows prompt to allow the program to proceed and make changes. That is the usual Windows security prompt.

When AdwCleaner starts, on the left side of the window, click on “Settings” and then enable these repair actions on that tab-window
by clicking their button to the far-right for ON status
Delete IFEO keys
Delete tracing keys
Delete Prefetch files
Reset Proxy
Reset IE Policies
Reset Chrome policies
Reset Winsock
Reset HOSTS file

ADW-s-1.png.c32838f45f840beb2b835ad51f0a1b7c.png

ONLY after you have set the selections above ....only after that .....
Now On the left side of the AdwCleaner window, click on “Dashboard” and then click “Scan” to perform a computer scan.

This can take several minutes.
When the AdwCleaner scan is completed it will display all of the items it has found. Click on the “Quarantine” button To remove what it found.

AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to close any open programs before it starts to clean.
Click on the “Continue” button to finish the removal process.

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed. For example AdwCleaner[C00],txt
There is much more to do even after this.
Edited by Maurice Naggar

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-Service -Name winmgmt -StartupType automatic -force
Set-Service : No se encuentra ningún parámetro que coincida con el nombre del parámetro 'force'.
En línea: 1 Carácter: 50
+ Set-Service -Name winmgmt -StartupType automatic -force
+                                                  ~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-Service], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetServiceCommand

I erased the parameter '-force' and then enter without any prompt.

1. Repeat the scan with Adwcleaner. When you get to the screen like the 1 above, I need for you to click the button marked "Run Basic Repair".

Wait for it to complete. Then close Adwcleaner.

2. Malwarebytes can detect and remove most malware with no further actions required for free.

Please download, install, update Malwarebytes
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479134-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

and do a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038984773
and post back the log as shown below.
Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Edited by Maurice Naggar

The Malwarebytes found a file infector Floxif.Virus.FileInfector.DDS plus other malware. BUT it appears  you did NOT TICK all the lines so that they would be SELECTED for removal. 

Sin acciones por parte del usuario

First some housekeeping, and then one Scan.  There will be more later after all this.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, let us make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

• now Click the General tab.
  • Under Application updates, click the Check for updates button.

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Let me know how that goes.    Next, the Malwarebytes scan

Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d5c4071c62ed66534301fbb217b93bc0.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.6c45445994d4125c0b617ac7c5551e03.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks